KRIS LINDSAY - Monday, July 21, 2014
MLS action this weekend included several controversial calls, and some late goals. Here is a recap of the action:

The Colorado Rapids let a lead slip away in the second half, and fell 2-1 to the Portland Timbers on Friday night. A rocket shot from distance from Timbers' playmaker Diego Valeri was the difference for the home side. The Timbers moved up to seventh place in the Western Conference, a mere three points out of the final playoff position.

Matt Besler and Graham Zusi celebrated their contract extension with Sporting Kansas City with a 2-1 victory over the LA Galaxy. Former USMNT midfielder Benny Feilhaber scored a beautiful free kick, and Sporting KC held on to increase their lead in the Eastern Conference. Zusi put in a creative shift, going the full 90 for the winning side.

A late goal from Steven Lenhart robbed the New York Red Bulls of three points as the San Jose Earthquakes earned a road point in a 1-1 draw. Bradley Wright-Phillips added another goal to his spectacular season from the spot after an obvious handball from Lenhart. The redemption would come later for Lenhart, who rescued his side in the 85th minute.

Bernardo Anor scored two, and the Columbus Crew rallied from a goal down to beat the hapless Montreal Impact 2-1 in front of a rare sellout crowd. Marco Di Vaio scored the first for the Impact, after taking advantage of a mistaken back pass from Crew defender Michael Parkhurst. The Crew came back, scoring both goals in the second half to deliver their first win since May.

The Philadelphia Union stole a point late from the Chicago Fire after a questionable handball call in stoppage time gave striker Sebastian Le Toux an opportunity from the spot. The Fire had gone ahead on a header from Jeff Larentowicz in the 60th minute, and appeared to be on their way to just their second home win of the season before the penalty was called. Replays showed that Chicago defender Gonzalo Segares had his arm pinned against his body, but the call stood.

The New England Revolution extended their losing streak to seven after a 2-0 loss to FC Dallas. Despite a strong outing from Revolution keeper Bobby Shuttleworth, the Revs were unable to get on the board, allowing a first half goal from Andres Escobar, and a second half strike from rookie Tesho Akindele.

Four goals in a wild first half capped a 2-2 draw between the Houston Dynamo and Toronto FC. USA midfielder Michael Bradley missed a penalty, clanging it off the post, and Toronto held on to steal a point on the road. Dynamo forward Giles Barnes nailed a rip from distance in the first half, with a driven strike across goal. Newcomer Dominic Oduro scored for the Reds, who remained in third place in the East.

Emotions flared at Rio Tinto in a 1-1 draw between the Vancouver Whitecaps and Real Salt Lake. A questionable penalty call against Salt Lake defender Nat Borchers led to an opening goal from Darren Mattocks. RSL answered moments later when Kyle Beckerman found forward Joao Plata in a dangerous position. The Ecuadorean finished from a tough angle to give the hosts a point. Seven yellow cards were handed out, as things began to get chippy late.

The five game winning streak for Chivas USA game to a halt after a 3-1 defeat to DC United Sunday night. Eddie Johnson played a terrific game for the black and red, with good hold up play. Johnson also tallied a goal in the first half on a penalty kick. Erick Torres continued his scoring streak, on a late penalty when the game was already decided.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.