RJ DEMELLO - Wednesday, August 13, 2014
It's on to Round Two of the Capital One Cup for the American's in the English Championship as the five different squads made it past lower league opposition on Tuesday.

Birmingham City 3 - 1 Cambridge United

Jonathan Spector and Birmingham managed the victory on Tuesday, but did require 120 minutes to put away the League Two team.

Spector started and played the entire match in midfield while Will Packwood did not make it into the match-day squad.

City took an early lead with a 16th minute goal from Clayton Donaldson.

Cambridge leveled 21 minutes later through a Donaldson of its own in Ryan Donaldson. The 23-year-old decided to do things himself. He ran at Spector who backed off enough to allow Donaldson to finish low from 20 yards out.

In the end Birmingham was too much for the minnows as the club scored in the 96th and 105th minutes through Paul Caddis and Mark Duffy respectively to seal the victory.

With a spot in the second round booked, Birmingham's focus turns back to the league with a match against Brighton on Saturday.

Nottingham Forest 1 - 0 Tranmere Rovers

Eric Lichaj and Forest didn't require more than 90 minutes to take care of its own lower league competition.

Lichaj started and went 88 minutes as he continues to work his way back from a groin injury.

It took only 12 minutes for Forest to take the lead, with Michail Antonio heading home a cross from Chris Burke.

Nottingham almost had a second when Antonio once again rose to meet a cross, this time from Lichaj, only to see his attempt hit the crossbar.

Forest midfielder Michael Mancienne was sent off in the 53rd minute after receiving his second yellow card.

Despite having the man advantage Tranmere couldn't capitalize and Nottingham advanced to the next round.

Up next for Lichaj and Forest, a Saturday league fixture against Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers.

Bolton Wanderers 3 - 2 Bury

Tim Ream and Bolton survived a scare from fourth division side Bury on Tuesday to sneak into the next round.

Despite playing 90 minutes on Saturday, manager Dougie Freedman selected Ream to start. The defender went the entire 120 minutes in the back for the Wanderers.

Bury opened the scoring in the 20th minute through Ryan Lowe after a Ream slip in the buildup.

It looked like Bolton was out of the tournament until a penalty in the seventh minute of added time forced extra-time.

Wanderers substitute Neil Danns scored two quick goals in the 93rd and 96th minute to start the extra period, but Jim McNulty pulled one back for the visitors in the 97th.

Bury's magic ended there however, and Bolton held on for the win.

Ream and the Wanderers next take on Nottingham Forest on Saturday.


Duane Holmes' Huddersfield Town won 5-3 with the Georgia-born midfielder not in the match-day team.

Reading took care of Newport County 3-1 to advance to the second round. Danny Williams remains out with a knee injury.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria