MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, September 15, 2014
Fabian Johnson went the distance for Mönchengladbach in a win, while Julian Green played his first Bundesliga minutes in a losing effort.

Hertha BSC 1 - 3 FSV Mainz 05

John Anthony Brooks and Hertha BSC couldn't hold off Mainz on Saturday in a bad loss at home.

Brooks started in central defense with Fabian Lustenberger, his partner when he broke out on the scene in the 2. Bundesliga during the 2012-2013 season. The German-American went the distance in the losing effort.

Neither team looked too dangerous until the 36th minute, when the away team took the lead.

After the Hertha defense failed to clear a long throw, Junior Diaz lobbed a pass over the defense to Ja-Cheol Koo, whose shot Hertha goalkeeper Tomas Kraft blocked. The rebound went to Shinji Okazaki, and the Japanese striker used his left foot to score from nine yards out.

The Berliners came out in the second half and tried to press for a goal, but they still couldn't really trouble the Mainz net. Instead, it was the Karnevalsverein that increased its lead in the 70th minute.

Jonas Hofmann laid the ball off to Diaz, who centered a ball that went through the six-yard box. Ex-Hertha player Sami Allagui picked it up near the far post and tapped it into the back of the net.

Things got interesting late in the match, as Mainz defender Niko Bungert handed the ball in the 85th minute, and Ronny stepped up to convert the penalty kick in the 86th minute.

Mainz ended any thoughts of a comeback in the first minute of stoppage time, though, as Mainz hit the Old Lady on a counter finished off by an easy tap-in for Okazaki.

With the loss, Hertha fell to 15th place, and the team returns to action next Friday in Freiburg.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 4 - 1 FC Schalke 04

Fabian Johnson and Mönchengladbach recorded their first Bundesliga win of the season against slumping Schalke at home on Saturday.

Johnson made his first league start of the season for his new club and played the first half on the left wing and the second half at right back.

The match started off cagey but eventually it opened up, which was in the favor of Mönchengladbach, which took a lead in the 17th minute off a counterattack. Christoph Kramer and Max Kruse got the ball quickly to Andre Hahn, and Hahn dribbled a good distance before he beat Schalke goalkeeper Ralf Fährmann to the near post with a 15-yard shot.

The Fohlen continued to look like the team mostly likely to score, and they did so in the 50th minute. Off a free kick from the right, Schalke left Hahn unmarked, and Hahn headed home the Kruse free kick from the middle of the box.

Schalke received a gift from Mönchengladbach, however, when fohlen captain Matrin Stranzl handed a cross in the box, and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting snuck the penalty inside the left post in the 52nd minute.

Mönchengladbach didn't wait long to respond, regaining a two-goal lead in the 55th minute with a Kruse goal off a counter. Raffael put the German striker in on net, and Kruse beat Fährmann from 12 yards out.

The home team put the match to bed in the 79th minute, catching the Royal Blue pressing forward. Substitute Patrick Hermann cross from the right wing, only for a Schalke defender to deny Hahn. The ball went as far as Raffael, who hammered the ball into the net with a 16-yard shot.

With the win, Mönchengladbach moved into fifth place, and the Fohlen will open up the Europa League group stage on Thursday against Villarreal.

Hannover 96 2 - 0 Hamburger SV

Julian Green and Hamburg remained goalless and winless to start the season with a loss in Hannover on Sunday.

Green made his first career Bundesliga start in his first match on loan with Hamburg, but he came off at halftime after playing 45 minutes on both the right and left wings.

Hannover came out the more dangerous side and made it count in the 13th minute. After a cross from the right wing went untouched, Miiko Albornoz picked it up on the left wing and launched the ball back into the box. At the far post, Leon Andreasen met it and headed it into the back of the net.

After Hamburg wasted a couple of solid chances to equalize, Hannover doubled its lead in the 24th minute.

Joselu received header on the left of the 18-yard box with tons of space, and he dribbled to the end line before centering the ball in the six-yard box. There, Artur Sobiech beat his marker to the ball, and although Hamburg goalkeeper Jaroslav Drobny got a hand on it, the shot still tickled into the back of the net.

That proved to be all Hannover needed, as Hamburg put on a lackluster performance and rarely troubled the Hannover net at all.

With the loss, Hamburg dropped into last place in the Bundesliga, and the Rothosen return to action next Saturday when they host Bayern Munich.

FC Ingolstadt 04 4 - 1 VfR Aalen

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt jumped to the top of the 2.Bundesliga standings with a rout of Aalen on Friday.

Morales started in central midfield and came off in the 90th minute for the Ingolstädter. The German-American also recorded a yellow card in the first half for a tactical foul.

Ingolstadt took the lead with the first real chance of the match in the 12th minute. Pascal Groß shook off his defender at the top right corner of the 18-yard box and sent a pass to the middle of the box. There, teammate Stefan Lex met it and redirected it for his fourth goal of the season.

That scoreline held until the 52nd minute, when Aalen equalized through a curious play. With Ingolstadt out of sorts in defense, Michael Klauß had plenty of space in the box and launched a shot from 14 yards out that deflected off Andreas Ludwig's chest and into the back of the net.

The Schanzer responded nine minutes later off a corner. Benjamin Hübner rose up in the middle of the box to meet a Groß header and score against his former team.

In the 82nd minute, Ingolstadt put the match to bed thanks to a Mathew Leckie goal. The Austrailian picked up the ball near midfield and dribbled to the 18-yard box before his shot beat Aalen goalkeeper Jasmin Fejzic to the right post.

Ingolstadt added insult to injury with a final goal in the second minute of stoppage time, as Aalen's Andre Hainault put a Groß corner into his own net.

With the win, Ingolstadt moved to the top of the 2. Bundealiga standings, and the Schanzer return to action next Saturday against 1860 Munich.

SV Sandhausen 1 - 0 Greuther Fürth

Andrew Wooten scored the winning goal in Sandhausen's big win over Greuther Fürth on Sunday.

Wooten started at striker and played until he was substituted off in the 90th minute.

In the first half, both sides created chances through set pieces, but neither team could seem to hit the net. The first 45 minutes were also marred by plenty of fouls in the midfield, mostly by Sandhausen to keep Fürth's short passing in check.

The second half started the same way, but instead of limiting the chances, Sandhausen gave Fürth an opportunity to open the scoring in the 51t minute after Stefan Kulovits felled Benedikt Röcker in the box. Sandhausen goalkeeper Manuel Riemann blocked the attempt from Stephan Fürstner, however, to keep the Kleeblätter scoreless.

That scoreline held until the 84th minute when Wooten found the breakthrough goal thanks to some help from Fürth.

Fürstner and teammate Zsolt Korcsmar couldn't decide who was going to clear a ball in the box, only for Fürstner to attempt it at the last second. That ball went to Wooten, and the German-American had an easy tap-in with his left foot.

With the win, Sandhausen moved into 15th place, and the team returns to action Friday at Aalen.

MSV Duisburg 2 - 0 Stuttgarter Kickers

Royal-Dominique Fennell and the Stuttgarter Kickers struggled in a loss in Duisburg on Saturday in 3. Liga action.

Fennell started and went the distance in central defense for the Kickers, who dropped from first to fourth place in the 3. Liga standings with the loss.

Duisburg opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Enis Hajri sent a right diagonal pass to Michael Gardawski, putting the winger in some space near the right side of the 18-yard box. Gardawski then lobbed a shot over Kickers' goalkeeper Korbinian Müller and into the opposite side of the net.

Early in the second half, Duisburg doubled its lead off a corner. In the 48th minute, the Kickers attempted to clear the ball, but it fell to the Zebras' Dennis Grote, who curled a shot into the opposite corner.

The Kickers never recovered from that early second-half goal and went on to lose the match. They return to action next Friday against Osnabrück.

VfL Osnabrück 2 - 1 Holstein Kiel

Marc Heider and Holstein Kiel's inability to record wins continued on Saturday with a loss in Osnabrück.

Heider started and went the distance for the Storks, who have recorded just one win in their last seven matches.

Both teams began the match without any onus in attack until the 23rd minute, when Osnabrück scored the first goal. The Lily-Whites' Stanislav Iljutcenko played Addy-Waku Menga in a dangerous spot, and Congolese-German forward put the ball in the back of the net.

When it seemed the Lily-Whites were going to head into the break with a lead, the Storks found an equalizer in the 43rd minute. Mikkel Vendelbo received a throw-in and passed to Manuel Schäffler, who set up goal-scorer Rafael Kazior for an easy goal.

That goal energized Kiel even into the second half, but it was Osnabrück that scored next. In the 63rd minute, Nicolas Feldhahn dribbled into the 18-yard box and hammered home a shot.

Any chance Kiel had of equalizing again went out the 75 minute, when kazior picked up his second yellow and put the Storks down to 10 players. Kazior received both cards within a two-minute span.

With the loss, the Storks moved into a tie for 14th place because of goal differential, and they will return to action next Saturday against Wehen Wiesbaden.


Joe Gyau dressed but did not come off the bench for Dortmund's first team in the Schwarzgelben's 3-1 win over Freiburg on Saturday. Caleb Stanko was unavailable for Freiburg after tearing his ACL earlier in the week.

Tim Chandler was an unused substitute in Eintracht Frankfurt's 1-0 home loss to Augsburg on Sunday.

Bobby Wood dressed but didn't play in 1860 Munich's 2-1 win at St. Pauli on Sunday, the Löwen's first win of the season.

Terrence Boyd missed Leipzig's 3-1 win over Braunschweig on Saturday as he continues to recover from a knee injury.

Jerome Kiesewetter didn't step off the bench for Stuttgart II in the Schwaben's 2-0 win in Halle on Saturday.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.