MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, October 6, 2014
Heading into the international break, two Americans saw their teams surge to strengthen their positions as promotion contenders while Fabian Johnson's assist was not enough to push 'Gladbach to victory.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1 - 1 1. FSV Mainz

Fabian Johnson and Mönchengladbach left two on the field when they drew with Mainz on Sunday.

Johnson started and went 70 minutes on the left wing for the Fohlen.

Off a throw in during the 15th minute, Mönchengladbach scored through a good combination play after overloading one side of the field, specifically between Johnson and Patrick Hermann. The last pass came from Johnson at the end side of the 18-yard box to Max Kruse, who scored from 16 yards out into the right corner.

Mainz equalized thanks to a handball on the edge of the box by Julian Korb in the 31st minute when Junior Diaz attempted to cross the ball into the middle of the penalty area. Jonas Hoffmann stepped up and converted the penalty kick to put the Karnevalverein on the board.

In the second half, the Fohlen looked the more likely team to find the match-winning goal, but Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius made multiple big saves.

Karius also received some help from Stefan Bell in the closing minutes of the match, as the right back cleared two shots off the line in quick succession.

With the tie, the Fohlen find themselves in third place, and they return to action Oct. 18 in Hannover.

FC Ingolstadt 04 1 - 0 Eintracht Braunschweig

Alfredo Morales and Ingolstadt remained unbeaten when they beat Braunschweig at Audi-Sportpark on Sunday.

Morales continued to be a rock in central midfield, going the distance for the Schanzer as he has in almost every match so far this season.

In the first half, Ingolstadt created a couple of half chances, especially within the first 15 minutes, but Braunschweig stayed strong on defense to keep the match scoreless heading into the break.

That changed in the first minute of the second half, as the Schanzer finally broke through the Lions' wall with a quick-hitter. Peter Groß sent a through ball to put Lukas Hinterseer behind the defense, and Hinterseer beat goalkeeper to ball, dribbled around him and scored from the right side of the box on a 16-yard shot.

For the next half an hour, Braunschweig tried to equalize but to no avail, and Ingolstadt saw out the rest of the match for the three points.

With the win, Ingolstadt will head into the international break atop the 2.Bundesliga standings, and the team returns to action Oct. 19 at FSV Frankfurt.

SV Sandhausen 0 - 3 FSV Frankfurt

Andrew Wooten's goal-scoring streak came to an end as Sandhausen lost big at home against FSV Frankfurt on Sunday.

Wooten, who had scored in four straight matches prior to Sunday, started and went the distance at striker for Sandhausen, which lost its second match in a row.

Following a first half that saw little to no action in front of net, Frankfurt blew up in the second half. The Bornheimer broke through in the 51st minute, as Marc-Andre Kruska ran onto Vincenzo Girfo's trhow-in and passed to Faton Toski for the opening goal.

Frankfurt doubled its lead in the 64th minute through a penalty. Sandhausen captain Stefan Kulovits felled Frankfurt's Edmond Kapllani at the edge of the box, and referee Robert Kampka deemed the foul to have occurred in the box. Kapallani stepped up and converted the penalty kick.

Sandhausen tried to get back into the match, but the team didn't have a single shot on target. Instead, it was Frankfurt that found the back of the net for a third time to seal the win in the 88th minute.

Grifo scored a highlight-reel goal, leaving Sandhausen's Seyi Olajangbesi and Lukas Kübler in the dust before beating goalkeeper Manuel Riemann to the right.

With the loss, Sandhausen dropped into 12th place, and the team's next match will be Oct. 18 at Union Berlin.

MSV Duisburg 1 - 1 Stuttgart II

Jerome Kiesewetter and Stuttgart II kept Duisburg for taking the top spot in the 3.Liga standings in a tie on Saturday.

Kiesewetter started and went the distance on the right wing for the Schwaben.

Stuttgart II tried to focus on defense in the early going on the road, but the Schwaben couldn't hold out past the 34th minute. Steffen Bohl beat his marker to free kick from the right side to head the ball into the back of the net.

That scoreline held until the 64th minute when Kiesewetter rescued a point for Stuttgart. Substitute Marco Grüttner put Kiesewetter alone on net, and the German-American beat goalkeeper Michael Ratajczak.

With the tie, Stuttgart II dropped into 15th place, and the team will return from the international break to face off with the Stuttgarter Kickers in a Stuttgart-Derby Oct. 18.

Stuttgarter Kickers 3 - 0 Hansa Rostock

Royal-Dominique Fennell and the Stuttgarter Kickers got off to a quick start to cruise over Rostock on Saturday.

Fennell started and went the distance in central defense for the Kickers, who moved back into second place in the 3.Liga standings.

It didn't take long for the Kickers to open their goal-scoring account on the day, finding the back of the net in the 11th minute. Besar Halimi controlled a lobbed from teammate Gerrit Müller in the penalty area before calming slotting the ball home.

The Kickers didn't let up and proceeded to put the match away before the half-hour mark. In the 25th minute, Elia Soriano eluded his marker and had his 12-yard shot hit the back of the net. Then, in the 27th minute, Soriano left a ball to Müller, who let loose a shot that Rostock goalkeeper Jörg Hahnel managed to block, but the rebound went to Sandrino Braun for an easy tap-in goal.

From that point, Rostock never recovered and didn't even threaten the Blauen's net, as the Kickers let the minutes tick by for the win.

The Kickers will return from the international break on Oct. 18 for a city derby against Stuttgart II.

1. FSV Mainz 05 II 1 - 1 Holstein Kiel

Marc Heider and Holstein Kiel needed a second-half goal to salvage a point at Mainz II on Sunday.

Heider played the full 90 minutes on the right wing in the Storks' 4-3-3 formation.

Kiel took the match to Mainz, but it was the Karnevalverein's second team that opening the scoring. In the 35th minute, Petar Sliskovic created a goal against the run of play, coming in from the left wing before slotting home his first goal of the season.

In the second half, Kiel pressed the Mainz goal and created its fair share of opportunities. The Storks eventually equalized in the 67th minute when Heider met a Patrick Kohlmann cross from the left wing and put it in the back of the net.

With the draw, Kiel stayed in 11th place, and the Storks will next play Halle Oct. 18.


John Anthony Brooks didn't dress for Hertha BSC's 3-2 win over Stuttgart on Friday and is currently playing with their second team in the 4th division.

Tim Chandler came on in the 88th minute during Eintracht Frankfurt's 3-2 win over Köln.

For the fifth time this season, Joe Gyau made the bench for Borussia Dortmund's first team, but he didn't play in the Schwarzgelben's 1-0 loss to Hamburg, for which fellow American winger Julian Green didn't dress because of a rib injury.

Bobby Wood was in the 18 but didn't play in 1860 Munich's 2-0 loss to Aalen on Friday.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.