KENYA BROWN - Monday, September 11, 2017
Geoff Cameron could only play the first half for Stoke City as he went down with a hamstring injury as the team went on to share the points with Manchester United.

Stoke City 2-2 Manchester United

Two goals from Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting canceled out strikes from Marcus Rashford and Romelu Lukaku as Stoke City denied Manchester United the three points at the Bet365 Stadium.

The Potters entered the game having gone unbeaten in their previous two games. However, they were coming up against a Red Devils team that had so far won their first four games, putting them atop the standings.

The visitors had an excellent opportunity to open the scoring in the 23rd minute when Rashford ran on to a through ball, but his effort was well saved by Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland.

United looked good early on, but it would be Stoke to open the scoring in the 43rd minute. Former United midfielder Darren Fletcher would send a passs into the path of Mame Biram Diouf on the right. Diouf's cross would then find Choupo-Moting in the area and he would volley home from close range.

United would quickly respond just before the halftime whistle as Rashford would find the back of the net under unusual circumstances. Henrikh Mkhitaryan's corner kick would be flicked on by Nemanja Matic before Paul Pogba headed the ball towards goal. However, his effort would bounce off the back of Rashford and into the goal.

Stoke head coach Mark Hughes would then have to make a personnel change at the start of the second half as Cameron was forced to leave the game with a hamstring injury.

United then found itself in the lead in the 57th minute as they took the ball from the host at midfield. Mkhitaryan's through released Lukaku into the area for a chance at goal. The Belgian's initial effort was saved by Butland, but the rebound came back to him and he made sure that one went in.

Stoke continued to fight on and were rewarded with the equalizer in the 63rd minute. Xherdan Shaqiri's corner would find Choupo-Moting at the far post and the Cameroonian headed his effort past United goalkeeper David de Gea to the delight of the fans in the staium.

Stoke sit in 12th place in the standings with five points.


DeAndre Yedlin has recovered from his hamstring injury and watched from the bench as Newcastle United went to a 1-0 win over Swansea City.

Danny Williams watched from the bench as Huddersfield Town fell to West Ham United 2-0 to suffer their first loss of the season.

In the Championship, Tim Ream started for Fulham but the Cottagers could only muster a 1-1 tie with leaders Cardiff City.

Lynden Gooch came off the bench in the 74th minute as struggling Sunderland were handed a 2-1 defeat to Sheffield United. Cameron Carter-Vickers watched all the action from the bench for the Blades.

Antonee Robinson started for Bolton Wanderers as they suffered a 3-0 thrashing at the hands of Middlesbrough.

Down in League One, Gboly Ariyibi started for Milton Keynes Dons in their 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle.

Brendan Moore started between the sticks for Rochdale but found himself on the wrong end of 3-0 hammering by Blackburn Rovers.

Duane Holmes came off the bench for Scunthorpe United as they shared the points with Blackpool following a 0-0 tie.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Konrad de la Fuente has committed his future to Barcelona as he signed a new deal with the Spanish giants.
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria
Marsch Leads Salzburg To Cup Title
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Sign New Deal