KENYA BROWN - Monday, January 7, 2019
The third round of the FA Cup took place over the weekend, with mixed results for the American contingent and their teams in the tournament.

Derby County 2-2 Southampton

Two second-half goals saw Derby County claw their way back to force a replay with Southampton after an intense encounter at Pride Park Stadium.

Duane Holmes started the game for the Rams, seeing 88 minutes of action in the tie.

It would be Derby on the back foot just four minutes into the contest when Nathan Redmond made a run into the area with the ball to unleash a strike at goal. He did receive some assistance as Derby defender Richard Keogh deflected the ball into the back of his own net.

Holmes came close to leveling the score a few minutes later as the host launched a counterattack. Jack Marriott set the English-American up for a shot from outside of the area, but his strike sailed just wide of the post.

However, Redmond doubled Southampton's lead just minutes into the second half when drilled a scintillating shot from distance that dipped over Derby goalkeeper Kelle Roos and into the goal.

The game should have been done and dusted, but Derby ensured this matchup was not going to end on that night.

Marriott cut the deficit in the 58th minute when Holmes pass found Thomas Lawrence in the area. The Welshman then flicked the ball into the path of the English forward, allowing him to volley his shot past Saints goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

The host did not have to wait very long to score the equalizer as it took them just three minutes.

Lawrence would get his name on the scoresheet this time when he collected a pass from Craig Bryson and decided to take a crack of his own from distance. His gamble paid off as his shot beat Gunn.

Both sides had very good chances to steal the game at the end, but could not find the goal as they will now have to wait a week to see who will progress to the fourth round.

Derby head to Southampton on January 17 for the replay.

Fulham 1-2 Oldham Athletic

Fulham was left frustrated as they surrendered their lead and were eventually knocked out by lowly Oldham Athletic at Craven Cottage.

Tim Ream started the game for the Cottagers as their slump in the league carried over to the cup.

This should have been a game in which Fulham should have had no problems with the League Two team, but Oldham was game from the first half and showed moments in which they appeared more like Premier League side.

The first half would end scoreless, but Fulham would finally break the deadlock in the 52nd minute when Dennis Odoi pounced on the loose ball in the area to volley it into the back of the net from close range.

However, the host could not put the game to bed as they allowed their opponents to stay in the game.

And Oldham was rewarded a penalty when Ryan Sessegnon carelessly brought down Peter Clarke in the area as the visitors were taking a corner kick. This allowed Sam Surridge to step up an convert from the spot in the 76th minute to level the score.

The visitors were not yet done and snatched the winner near the end in the 88th minute. Gevaro Nepomuceno's cross from the left would find Callum Lang in the area as he headed it home to book their place in the next round.


In other FA Cup action, Eric Lichaj started for Hull City as they were knocked out by Millwall in a 2-1 loss.

DeAndre Yedlin watched from the bench for Newcastle United as they will head to a replay with Blackburn Rovers following a 1-1 tie.

Cameron Carter-Vickers did not dress for Swansea City as they advanced to the next round after a 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

Danny Williams did not dress for Huddersfield Town as they were dumped out by Bristol City in a 1-0 loss.

Geoff Cameron was not in the team for Queens Park Rangers in their 2-1 win over Leeds United as the Londoners booked their place in the fourth round.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.