KENYA BROWN - Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Ventura Alvarado and Necaxa came from behind to defeat Michael Orozco and Lobos BUAP while Omar Gonazlez and Atlas had a come back of their own to save a point against Pumas.

Lobos BUAP 2-3 Necaxa

Necaxa was able to mount a comeback after allowing two early goals to steal all three points in their win over Lobos BUAP at Estadio Universitario BUAP.

Both Michael Orozco and Ventura Alvarado started for their respective teams, playing the full 90 minutes.

It has been a good start to the Clausura for both teams and both were looking to carry their momentum after this game.

Lobos jumped out of the gate early as they scored just seconds into the contest through Leonardo Ramos. Felix Velasquez
sent in a low cross from the right, leaving a scramble in the area before Argentine forward tapped the ball in with his thigh.

It did not take the host long to double their lead as they scored eight minutes later. Ramos this time ran onto a pass from Yago Cesar before slotting his right-footed shot past Necaxa goalkeeper Hugo Gonzalez.

But like some people in the soccer world have said countless times, having a 2-0 lead can be dangerous, and Necaxa proved that to be right on the day as they mounted a comeback.

Martin Barragan cut the deficit for the visitors in the 35th minute with a long-range effort that Lobos goalkeeper Jose Rodriguez could only watch sail into his goal.

The second half would belong totally to Necaxa as they went on to score two unanswered goals to seal the game.

The leveler came in the 54th minute when Eduardo Herrera converted the penalty after being brought down in the area by Orozco.

Angel Sepulveda went on to score the game-winner 10 minutes later when he volleyed in a long-range strike that Rodriguez could not get his hands on.

The win puts Necaxa in sixth place in the standings with six points while Lobos take up the third spot on six points as well.

Pumas UNAM 2-2 Atlas

Juan Pablo Vigon would pull Atlas back into their by scoring both goals to cancel out strikes for Pumas as both teams ended up sharing the points at Estadio Olimpico de Universitario.

Omar Gonzalez started the game for Atlas, playing the entire 90.

It was a game of two halves, and Pumas were clearly the dominant team in the first interval as they broke the scoreless deadlock in the 24th minute when Ignacio Malcorra hit a scintillating free-kick that went unchallenged.

The host added a second in the 31st minute when Pablo Barrera sent in a cross from the right and Felipe Mora's late run into the area allowed him to head the ball past Atlas goalkeeper Jose Hernandez.

The second half then swung in favor of the visitors as Atlas mounted their comeback.

Vigon scored his first on the day in the 58th minute when he got his head onto a cross from teammate Irving Zurita and put the ball in the back of the net.

Atlas' day got more hopeful in the 76th minute when Mora was sent off by the referee for his second yellow, giving them a one-man advantage for the rest of the game.

And they took advantage when Vigon scored the equalizer in stoppage time he once again connected on a cross from Zurita to see them steal a point.

Atlas sits in eighth place in the standings with four points.


Elsewhere in Liga MX action, Joe Corona came off the bench for Tijuana while William Yarbrough watched from the bench for Leon as Los Xolos claimed the 1-0 win.

Down in Ascenso MX, Jose Carrera-Garcia started for Celaya in their 3-1 win over Tampico Madero.

Jonathan Esparaza started for Alebrijes de Oaxaca as the fell to Cimarrones de Sonora in a 1-0 loss.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.