KENYA BROWN - Monday, January 28, 2019
Duane Holmes provided what would be the game-winning assist as Derby County slipped past Accrington Stanley while Cameron Carter Vickers and Swansea City also progressed in the FA Cup.

Accrington Stanley 0-1 Derby County

Martyn Waghorn scored the only goal of the game to help Derby County move on to the fifth round of the FA Cup with their win over Accrington Stanley at Wham Stadium.

Duane Holmes, who has been in excellent form recently, started the game for the Rams and played the entire 90 minutes.

It is no easy task to come away with a win over a team in the lower leagues looking to claim a scalp, but Derby held their nerve to come away with the win and hold on as both teams had players sent off.

The visitors had an excellent opportunity to open the scoring when Scott Malone's cross from the left was headed towards goal by Waghorn, but Accrington Stanley goalkeeper Jonathan Maxted made an excellent save to keep the game scoreless.

The host had their chances as well, and Jordan Clarke could have given them the lead, but he decided to attempt a volley instead of heading the ball as it sailed wide of the goal.

Both sides went back and forth looking to break the deadlock when the game took a turn in the 59th minute when the referee sent off Accrington's Daniel Barlaser for his second booking, giving Derby an advantage.

And the visitors found their goal in the 78th minute when Holmes made a run into the area with the ball from a corner kick and was able to pass the ball off to Waghorn, who did just enough to get his foot on the ball and steer it into the back of the net.

Jayden Bogle was sent off just before the final whistle, but Derby would celebrate at the end as they came through a very tough game.

Derby will wait for their fifth round opponent as Brighton and West Bromwich Albion head to a replay.

Swansea City 4-1 Gillingham

Swansea City was in command throughout the game as they progressed to the next round with their big win over Gillingham at Liberty Stadium.

Cameron Carter-Vickers started the game for the Swans and played the entire 90 minutes.

The host showed they were intent on winning the contest 10 minutes in when Oli McBurnie scored their first as he ran on to a lobbed pass from teammate Leroy Fer and headed the ball into the back of the net.

McBurnie scored his second of the game just past the half-hour mark when he collected a pass from Barry McKay and slotted his shot past Gillingham goalkeeper Toma Holy.

Gillingham tried to keep themselves in the game and cut the deficit just minutes into the second half when Josh Rees glancing header from a Mark Byrne cross ended up in the goal.

However, Swansea was in complete control of the game and restored their two-goal lead in the 73rd minute. Bersant Celina's stunning strike from distance was too much handle for Holy as the ball ended up in the back of the net.

McKay then went from provider to goal-scorer in the 84th minute as he steered the ball into the goal from a Daniel James cross.

Swansea will either face Barnet or Brentford in the next round.


DeAndre Yedlin was on the bench for Newcastle United as they were dumped out of the cup by Watford following a 2-0 loss at St. James' Park.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.