KENYA BROWN - Wednesday, January 30, 2019
There were wins all around for the Americans and their respective teams, with DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United inflicting some damage to Manchester City's title defense.

Newcastle United 2-1 Manchester City

Manchester City's defense would let them down as Newcastle United claimed their biggest win of the season at St. James' Park to put a dent in the reigning champions hopes of retaining their title.

DeAndre Yedlin started the game for the Magpies, playing the full 90 minutes, as this win should give them even more confidence as they try to move further away from the relegation battle.

However, things did not start off brightly for the host as City opened the scoring within seconds of the start. A miscue by goalkeeper Martin Buravka to retrieve the ball in his area saw David Silva head it into the path Sergio Aguero and the Argentine international made no mistakes in putting the ball into the back of the net.

Newcastle would then have an excellent chance to level the score just over 10 minutes later when Ayoze Perez fired his shot from just outside the area, but his effort would go wide of the post.

The visitors were dominant for long stretches of the game, but could not find a way to score further goals to put it to bed. One of their better opportunities came just before the halftime whistle when Silva was left open to head the ball into the goal, but Florian Lejeune would clear the danger by preventing the ball from crossing the line.

City continued their pressure in the second half, but still, they could not find the goals, leaving Newcastle the opportunity to get themselves into the game.

And they would find the equalizer in the 66th minute. The visitors failed to properly clear the ball from their area, allowing Isaac Hayden to head the ball back into the area. With ball literally floating in the air, Salomon Rondon would volley home to send the home supporters into enthusiastic cheers.

Despite being let down by allowing the tying goal, Manchester City continued pressuring the Newcastle goal to retake the lead.

But it would be the host that was given the chance to score the game-winner when the referee pointed to the spot for a penalty after it was judged that Fernandinho brought down Sean Longstaff in the area. This allowed Matt Ritchie to step up and he powered his shot to the back of the net to give his team the lead.

It was hectic few minutes afterward, but Newcastle was able to hold to the win in the end.

The Magpies sit in 14th place in the standings with 24 points.

Fulham 4-2 Brighton

Fulham fought back in a big way as they came from two goals down to claim a much-needed win over Brighton at Craven Cottage to give them some hope in surviving the relegation battle.

Tim Ream started the game for the Cottagers but was subbed out after 27 minutes as Claudio Ranieri was left with no choice but to make a tactical change.

The host would be on the backfoot just three minutes into the contest when Glenn Murray steered the ball home following a cross from teammate Martin Montoya.

Brighton doubled their lead 15 minutes later when Murray struck once again as he was on the spot to put away an acrobatic assist from Pascal Gross.

Allowing two goals in that amount of time left Ranieri frustrated and he was looking to open up the game to give his team a chance to get back in it.

And the gamble paid off in the second half as Fulham mounted a comeback that Brighton could not answer.

Calum Chambers cut the deficit in the 47th minute when he was left open at the edge of the area to send his looping volleyed shot to the back of the net.

Aleksandar Mitrovic leveled the score ten minutes later when the visitors failed to clear a Fulham corner kick, allowing Ryan Babel to put the ball back into the area and the Serb would head it home.

Fulham took the lead in the 74th minute as Mitrovic scored his second goal on the night when headed in another from a cross by Joe Bryan.

Obviously, the momentum had swung in favor of the Londoners and they put the game to bed five minutes later when Babel found Luciano Vietto after the ball came careening off the bar to head in yet another goal.

A morale-boosting win for the Cottagers and one that could get their survival campaign on track in the coming months.

Fulham sits in 19th place in the standings with 17 points.


Cameron Carter-Vickers started for Swansea City as they shared the points with Birmingham City following a thrilling 3-3 tie at the Liberty Stadium.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Jesse Marsch has claimed a personal accolade as he's been named Coach of the Year in Austria.
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion
EPB Returns To Action In Austria