KENYA BROWN - Friday, April 5, 2019
Timothy Weah scored the opening goal for Celtic in their win over St. Mirren to put them a step closer to retaining their Scottish Premier League crown.

St. Mirren 0-2 Celtic

Timothy Weah got his first start for Celtic since February and made the most of it as he scored his third league goal for the team in their win over St. Mirren at The Simple Digital Arena.

The PSG loanee would go on to play 78 minutes in the contest that has pushed Celtic closer to the league title.

It was a scrappy game from start to finish, but the Bhoys were able to muster up enough to take all three points.

Weah opened the scoring for the visitors 15 minutes into the game when he headed in a cross from teammate Mikael Lustig. There was some question as to whether the ball crossed the goal line, but replays showed that it certainly did and the referee was on the spot to confirm it.

Celtic dominated the majority of the game and should have scored even more, but it seems that it was an off night as they missed several chances.

Olivier Otcham had an excellent chance to double Celtic's lead at the half-hour mark when the referee pointed to the spot for a penalty after a handball in the area. However, the Frenchman's attempt was saved by St. Mirren goalkeeper Vaclav Hladky and his follow up shot came crashing off the crossbar.

Celtic continued to struggle to find further goals in the second half, allowing the host a chance to get themselves back in the game. Cody Cooke had a chance from distance, but it was parried away by Celtic goalkeeper Scott Bain.

After much struggling, the Bhoys finally found the goal they needed to guarantee them the points in the end. Substitute Ryan Christie collected a pass from Callum McGregor and drilled his effort past Hladky.

There's no catching Celtic now as they have but wrapped up the league title for another season.

Celtic remains atop of the SPL standings with 76 points.


In other SPL action, Gboly Ariyibi started for Motherwell as they chase for a spot in the championship playoff group came to an end with a 3-1 loss to Aberdeen.

Down in the Championship, Ian McGrath started for Queen of the South as they shared the points with Falkirk following a 1-1 tie.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


With Jesse Marsch and David Wagner at the helms of teams in the top flight, YA will cover their exploits this season.
YA Transfer Tracker
Yanks Face Relegation in England
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal