KENYA BROWN - Tuesday, January 7, 2020
DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United allowed a late goal against Rochdale to guarantee that their FA Cup third round encounter will head to a replay.

Rochdale 1-1 Newcastle United

Aaron Wilbraham second-half goal earned League One's Rochdale a replay against Newcastle United as their FA Cup ended ina tie at the Crown Oil Arena.

DeAndre Yedlin started the game for the Magpies and went the distance as the team failed to capitalize on a number of chances to put the game out of reach.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 17th minute when Christian Atsu dribbled the ball down the left flank before laying it off to Miguel Almiron who punched it into the back of the net.

From that point it looked like Newcastle would have their way with their lower league counterparts as they had a chance to double the score minutes later. However, Joelinton sent his shot from a turnover around the post. The Brazilian forward then had another chance as he rose up for a header, but sent the ball way off the mark.

Yedlin gave his team an excellent opportunity to score again before the halftime whistle when he made a brilliant run into the area to cross the ball to Yoshinori Muto. However, the Japanese international's shot was well saved by Rochdale goalkeeper Robert Sanchez. The American right-back then had a chance of his own when he pounced on the loose ball in the area following a shot from Joelinton only for it to be stopped by Sanchez.

The second half would show the host growing more in confidence as they remained only a goal down. Oliver Rathbone collected the ball at midfield and made a blistering run towards the goal before unleashing a shot that was saved by Martin Dubravka. The Czech goalkeeper would fumble the ball into the path of Ian Henderson to pounce on, but his shot came crashing off the post.

Rochadale had another good chance to level the score minutes later when Luke Matheson put the ball into the area from the right side, allowing Rathbone a chance to become the hero. However, Dubravka was able to get a leg on the ball to force it wide.

The host did not have to wait long after that chance to finally rejoice when Wilbraham struck to send this cup tie to a replay in the 79th minute. Launching their counter-attack from the back, Matheson would again cross the ball into the area, with the 40-year-old forward sweeping it home.

Newcastle will have another chance to advance to the fourth round of the cup when they take on Rochdale on January 14.


In other FA Cup third round action, Luca de la Torre came off the bench for Fulham while Indiana Vassilev made his first team debut for Aston Villa as the Cottagers knocked out the Premier League side by a 2-1 scoreline.

Matthew Olosunde recorded an assist for Rotherham United while Eric Lichaj watched all of the action from the bench for Hull City as the Tigers marched on following a 3-2 win.

Matt Miazga and Reading will head to a replay with Blackpool following their 2-2 tie at the Madejski Stadium.

Antonee Robinson came off the bench for Wigan Athletic as they suffered a 2-0 elimination by Leicester City.

Owen Otasowie watched all of the action from the bench as Wolverhampton Wanderers played Manchester United to a 0-0 tie to force a replay.

Geoff Cameron and Queens Park Rangers advance with a comfortable 5-1 win over Swansea City.

Christian Pulisic did not dress for Chelsea as they progressed to the fourth round with a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.