KENYA BROWN - Tuesday, March 3, 2020
Tim Ream and Fulham continued their pursuit of automatic promotion as they secured shutout win over Preston North End in the latest round of action in the English Championship.

Fulham 2-0 Preston North End

Fulham kept the pressure on the top two as they claimed all three points following their win over Preston North End at Craven Cottage.

Tim Ream started the game for the Cottagers and played the entire 90 minutes.

Preston North End had two good chances of taking the lead early in the game as Fulham was slow to get out of the gate. Brad Potts was left with the chance to bury the loose ball into the back of the net, but his efforts were thwarted twice by Michael Hector.

The visitors then thought they had scored when Sean Maguire tapped the ball in from close range following a corner kick. However, the assistant referee had raised his flag for offside.

Fulham started to steadily improve as the game entered the second half and were rewarded with a goal in the 58th minute thanks to PNE's David Nugent. Anthony Knockaert's in-swinger from the corner found the forward and his attempt to head the ball clear from the area instead looped over goalkeeper Declan Rudd and into the goal.

Despite the host taking the lead, PNE continued to press for a goal.

But their efforts went in vain when Fulham scored an insurance goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time. Aboubakar Kamara led the charge with a counter-attack as he fed the ball to teammate Ivan Cavaleiro. The Portuguese forward could not find a way around Rudd, leading him to return the ball to Kamara, who slotted it home.

The win keeps Fulham in third place in the standings with 63 points, five points behind second-placed Leeds United and six from leaders West Bromwich Albion.


DeAndre Yedlin was an unused substitute as Newcastle United shared the points with Burnley in a 0-0 tie.

In the Championship, Geoff Cameron and Queens Park Rangers settled for a point in their 2-2 tie with Birmingham City.

Matt Miazga and Reading came through to secure a 2-0 win over Barnsley.

Cameron Carter-Vickers and Luton Town needed a stoppage-time goal to salvage a point in their 1-1 tie with Stoke City.

Down in League One, Lynden Gooch and Sunderland were stopped in their tracks as they went down in a 1-0 loss to fellow promotion chasers Coventry City.

Matthew Olosunde fell from the first place as they could only muster up a 1-1 tie with Milton Keynes Dons.

Charlie Kelman and Southend United are headed towards relegation as they fell to Oxford United in a 2-1 loss.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.