KENYA BROWN - Monday, October 5, 2020
Christian Pulisic made his first appearance for Chelsea this season after recovering from a hamstring injury as the Blues came away with the win over Crystal Palace.

Chelsea 4-0 Crystal Palace

A second-half surge saw Chelsea come away with all three points in their win over Crystal Palace to put some pressure off of them after a week of indifferent form.

The bright spot was the appearance of Christian Pulisic as he took the field for the first time this season after suffereing hamstring injury in their FA Cup loss to Arsenal in August. The 22-year-old would go on to play seven minutes as head coach Frank Lampard looks to slowly work him back into the team.

It would be quiet first half as it ended scoreless, but the Blues would find the goals in the second half to guide them to victory.

Ben Chilwell broke the deadlock in the 50th minute when Palace failed to clear the ball from the area, allowing Chelsea's new signee to take advantage and fire the ball in at the back post.

The left-back would then turn provider in the 66th minute when his cross from the left side found Kurt Zouma in the area and the French center-back headed it home.

The visitors were reeling and could not get themselves into the game. That was proven in the 76th minute when the referee pointed to the spot for a penalty. Palace defender Tyrick Mitchell was the guilty party as he brought down Tammy Abraham in the area. Jorginho stepped up to convert the penalty.

The Italian midfielder was called again to take another penalty eight minutes from time when the referee pointed to the spot again. This time it would be Blues' midfielder Kai Havertz being tripped up in the area by Mamadou Sakho. Jorginho put the game on ice in the 82nd minute with his spot-kick conversion.

A good for the host and a positive return for Pulisic, who will be looking for more minutes when they welcome Southampton in two week's time.

Chelsea sits in seventh place in the standings with seven points.


In other Premier League action, both Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson, who made his first start, went the distance as Fulham's woes continued following a 1-0 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Zack Steffen watched from the bench as Manchester City could only muster up a 1-1 tie with newly promoted Leeds United.

In the Championship, Duane Holmes started and played 63 minutes as Derby County won its first game of the season with a 1-0 victory over Norwich City.

Geoff Cameron played 90 minutes as Queens Park Rangers scored a goal deep in stoppage time to save a point in their 1-1 tie with Sheffield Wednesday.

Alex Mighten played 68 minutes as Nottingham Forest reamined pointless following their 2-1 loss to Bristol City.

Giles Phillips watched on from the bench as Wycombe Wanderers slumped to a 2-0 loss to Luton Town.

In League One, Lynden Gooch started as Sunderland could not find the back of the net in their 0-0 tie with Charlton Athletic.

Marlon Fossey played the full 90 for Shrewsbury Town as they shared the points with Gillingham following a 1-1 tie.

Indiana Vassilev played 24 minutes as Burton Albion fell to Portsmouth in a 4-2 loss.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.