DAVID SMITH - Sunday, October 19, 2008
Yelldell now owns a dubious record
Michael Bradley earned his first start with Borussia Mönchengladbach in their tie with Bochum while Gregg Berhalter and 1860 Munich put in yet another strong defensive display to claw their way up the standings.

VfL Bochum 2 - 2 Borussia Mönchengladbach

Returning from international duty to a new coach, Michael Bradley finally found his way into the starting lineup to help Borussia Mönchengladbach to a much-needed tie in Bochum.

With their season nearly in tatters only seven games in, the Foals needed to grab any positive result possible to keep from falling too far into the dreaded relegation zone. Interim coach Christian Ziege fielded a drastically different lineup than what took the field a week before, placing Bradley in an advanced position, just behind lone striker Rob Friend.

The changes seemed to have worked when Ivorian defender Steve Gohouri gave the visitors the lead after a half hour with a header into the bottom left corner of Daniel Fernandes' goal off of a Marko Marin free kick.

Bochum's increased attacking ferocity in the start of the second half proved successful when they finally drew level in the 55th minute. A poor clearance by Gladbach defender Marcel Ndjeng gave left the ball in ideal position for Christoph Dabrowski, who clinically placed his resulting shot to the upper right corner of goal, out of reach of Foals' keeper Uwe Gospodarek.

The home team finally took the lead in the 78th minute on the strength of a Sinan Kaloglu header from a Christian Fuchs cross. Their joy was only short-lived, however, when defender Thomas Kleine headed home a Marin Cross one minute later.

With neither team able to muster any offensive threats or last-minute heroics in the final minutes, the score stayed deadlocked at two goals apiece, a result that Gladbach will gladly take. With coach Hans Meyer taking the reigns over the weekend, The Foals will hope to give him a winning start as they host Karlsruhe on Saturday.

Werder Bremen 3 - 3 Borussia Dortmund

Neven Subotic and Borussia Dortmund snatched a dramatic tie in Bremen on Saturday, in a high-paced game which saw both teams give up the lead in the final five minutes.

Expectations were high for an offense-dominated contest between two teams with a penchant for putting goals in the net and in the end, the game lived up to its potential billing. Both teams, however, sputtered out of the gates in the first half, failing to put away any of their sparse scoring chances.

Following a scoreless first half which saw Werder dominating possession but lacking the final touch needed to take the lead, Dortmund barely averted finally giving up the opening goal when Mesut Özil had two dangerous shots in rapid succession blocked by Subotic and keeper Roman Weidenfeller.

The finally visitors struck first thanks to a careless foul in the penalty area by Frank Baumann on Dortmund captain Sebastian Kehl. Swiss international Alexander Frei fired the resulting spot kick into the upper right of goal past Bremen keeper Tim Wiese to put the visitors up.

Baumann atoned for his mistake a mere nine minutes later when he headed home a precisely placed cross from Werder defender Sebastian Boenisch into the bottom right of goal, however the tied score would not last for long, with Mats Hummels putting Dortmund back on top four minutes afterwards.

Following a Jakub Blaszczykowski off a counter, the Polish international found Hummels inside the box, who buried his resulting shot from 11 yards out.

Jürgen Klopp's men managed to hold onto the lead for another 16 minutes until the late-game dramatics ensued shortly before full time. A long-range shot from Boenisch was blocked but spilled by Weidenfeller, landing right at the feet of Claudio Pizarro, who tapped the close-range shot home to knot the score at two.

Unhappy to play for the tie, Werder continued to press and looked to have grabbed a stunning last-minute victory one minute into injury time. A Hugo Almeida pass found Pizarro at the left edge of the six-yard box, who astonishingly put away the tight-angled shot for the 3-2 lead.

The visitors, however, had one more ace up their sleeve. Following a punched block by Wiese on a Florian Kringe cross, second half substitute Mohamed Zidan marked his return to action from injury by firing the 12 yard shot past Weise to complete the exciting 3-3 tie.

Dortmund returns to their home stadium to face Hertha Berlin on Sunday.

Hannover 96 2 - 5 TSG Hoffenheim

Steve Cherundolo and Hannover 96 looked to bag a home victory from Bundesliga newcomers TSG Hoffenheim, however were ultimately doomed by a late onslaught of goals that leaves them still hovering dangerously close to the drop zone.

The Hoffe applied significant pressure in the opening minutes, and finally took the lead in the 36th minute off the foot of the Bundesliga's leading scorer Vedad Ibisevic. The Bosnian international pulled down a cross from Andreas Beck and easily hit the point-blank shot to the center of goal.

Despite Hoffenheim looking the far better team for most of the first half, they were only able to take the one-goal lead into the break. Hannover drew even only three minutes after the restart, with Christian Schulz burying his shot from the left of the six-yard box after a corner from Szabolcs Huszti.

Fifteen minutes later, Huszti looked to have provided the home team the much needed victory when he capped a breaking run up the left side of the field with a pass into the penalty area, which Czech international Jiri Stajner easily put into the top right of the goal for the home lead.

The lead would only last for seven minutes, with the 70th minute marking the beginning of a deadly Hoffenheim onslaught on goal. Chinedu Ogbuke drew the visitors level with a point-blank shot to the center of goal, and then Sejad Salihovic gave them back the lead with a 17-yard shot just outside the upper left corner of the penalty area.

Senegalese forward Demba Ba added a fourth to Hoffenheim's tally in the 80th minute with a shot from the left just inside the box off of a Salihovic through pass, then Ibisevic added insult to injury, grabbing his second goal of the day from ten yards out.

Arnold Bruggink capped an awful second half for Hannover, when a tackle on Salihovic was judged to have been in malice, resulting in a straight red card.

Cherundolo and Hannover will attempt to lick their wounds when they host Hamburg SV on Sunday.

FC Kaiserslautern 4 - 1 Rot Weiss Ahlen

Luis Robles earned his first appearance for Kaiserslautern, helping them climb back into first place in the 2. Bundesliga with a convincing win over a surprising Rot-Weiss Ahlen team.

With Grover Gibson still sidelined with a knee injury, Robles was the only American on the field for Friday's headlining game between two team near the top of the standings. On the backs of a strong defensive display by the Kaiserslautern defense, however, he helped to limit Ahlen to a single goal, for a well-deserved victorious debut.

Despite Kaiserslautern applying significant offensive pressure, the scoreline was locked at zero until the 40th minutes, until Ahlen's Lars Toborg gave them the lead with a short-range shot off of a Kevin Großkreutz corner. Even though they would manage to hold the lead for nearly another 20 minutes, Ahlen's luck would run out thanks to a careless foul by Baldo Di Gregorio.

The resulting free kick by Florian Dick found Croatian forward Srđan Lakic in the box, who headed it home for the equalizer. The home team took the lead for the first time ten minutes later with a Sidney Sam header into the upper right corner of goal off of an Erik Jendrisek cross.

Lakic would strike again for his second goal of the day, burying the resulting spot kick when ‘slautern's Axel Bellinghausen was fouled in the penalty area. The rout was finally completed in the 90th minute when Manuel Hornig headed a cross from Sidney Sam into the center of goal from close range.

Ahlen will attempt to get back on track on Friday as they host SC Freiburg, while Kaiserslautern hope to hold onto their place at the top of the standings when they travel to face Rot-Weiß Oberhausen.

1860 Munich 3 - 1 SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Gregg Berhalter helped to lead 1860 Munich in another solid defensive display, limiting Fürth and their league-leading offensive to a single goal in the 3-1 home victory.

Despite starting out the season inconsistently, spending most of the first few weeks near the bottom of the standings, Munich has managed to turn their fortunes around with a pair of consecutive victories to push them to a respectable ninth place.

Sunday's game quickly took on a negative tone for the Lions when Fürth was able to grab an early lead in the third minute. Croatian U-21 player Ivo Ilicevic took the ball in the middle, holding the ball long enough to allow Thorsten Burkhardt to evade the defending Lars Bender, then threaded it through to the center of the box for Burkhardt to bury to the top right of goal.

Munich quickly regrouped, however, and got the game back under control to prevent any more damage through the first half.

The Lions would nearly grab the lead on a Berhalter header in the 56th minute, however Fürth keeper Sascha Kirschstein was up to the task to maintain the lead. The advantage would however evaporate seconds later when Timo Gebhart headed home a Markus Thorändt cross directly to the center of goal.

Munich took the lead five minutes later after Fabian Johnson found Benjamin Lauth with a crafty through-ball following a breaking run, who subsequently put the goal away to the bottom right of Kirschstein's goal.

Three minutes later, Laugh netted his second of the afternoon in a similar situation this time taking a through ball from Antonio Di Salvo following a break, and making no mistakes on the ensuing shot to give 1860 the final 3-1 victory.

The Lions will try to continue their climb in the standings when the travel to face VfL Osnabrück on Sunday.

Hansa Rostock 9 - 0 TuS Koblenz

A Heath Pearce-less Hansa Rostock exploded for an astonishing 9-0 victory over Matt Taylor and David Yelldell's TuS Koblenz, setting the record for the number goals scored by one team in a professional game in Germany.

With both teams nearly even on points and in the standings, a fairly even battle could have been expected, as was the case for the first 20 minutes. After Junior Alves Orestes broke the scoreless deadlock in the 20th minute, the floodgates were open on this historical rout.

The goals came easily and frequently for Rostock until the very last minute, with both Alves in the 21st and 52nd minutes and Enrico Kern in the 32nd and 76th minutes finding the net twice.

Kevin Schindler in the 28th, Fin Bartels at the 65 minute mark, Benjamin Lense with nine minutes remaining and a last minute Robert Lechleiter strike were added to a 63rd minute own-goal by Koblenz's Andreas Richter (63rd).

Despite being subbed out in the 62nd minute, Taylor provided a pair of dangerous situations in the first half-hour, forcing a save in the 29th minute Rostock keeper Jörg Hahnel.

Pearce began the game on the substitutes bench, but never saw the field. He will hope to see action in some capacity when Rostock travel to face FSV Frankfurt on Friday.

Koblenz will try to brush off the loss as and continue what has been a fairly strong season otherwise they host FC Nürnburg on Sunday.


Bryan Arguez did not dress for Hertha's first team as they scored a 2-1 home victory over Stuttgart.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna