MEGHAN BRENNAN - Sunday, July 18, 2010
It was a fruitful weekend for the yanks in Norway as Stabaek's Mikkel Diskerud and Start's Clarence Goodson added to their season goal totals.

Brann 2 - 2 Stabæk

Mikkel Diskerud scored his third goal of the 2010 season and added an assist in Stabæk's tie with Brann on Sunday.

With strikers Torstein Anderson Aase, Daniel Nannskog and midfielders Johan Andersson, Tor Marius Gromstad and Pontus Farenrud all out with injury, Diskerud did exactly what head coach Jan Jonsson needed him to; contribute to the offense.

Diskerud who started in center midfield and played a full 90 minutes put Stabæk on the board first with a spectacular diving header off a Vegar Eggen Hedenstad corner in the 24th minute. There was little Brann keeper, Håkon Opdal, could do to stop the Diskerud header from just 12 yards out.

Six minutes later Brann and Stabæk exchanged chances with shots by strikers Daniel Nielsen and Veigar Pall Gunnarson in the 30th and 32nd minutes respectively.

But before the half time whistle blew Brann evened the playing field when midfielder Jan Gunnar Solli one-timed an Erik Huseklepp through ball from ten yards out in the 37th minute.

Despite leaving his line to challenge Solli, Stabæk keeper Iven Austbø came up empty handed as Solli's shot found the back of the net, far post.

The start of the second half saw Stabæk again score first in the 49th minute off a series of short passes in the box. On top of the 18, Gunnarsson started the chain of events when he dished the ball wide to Espen Hoff who then one time a cross back into the box.

The cross deflected off a Brann defender to the feet of Diskerud who settled with his first touch and tapped it left with his second to Gunnarsson whose diving volley slipped under Opdal and secured a Stabæk lead.

But again, the lead would be short lived as Brann's offense led by Huseklepp refused to back down. Ten minutes following Gunarson's goal, Huseklepp received a picture perfect through ball up the right side from Diego Guastavina and fired it low and hard, far post. For a second consecutive time, Austbø was unsuccessful off his line.

The remaining 30 minutes were quiet with one final shot by Nielsen from atop the box in the 81st minute that landed directly in the arms of Austbø.

Stabæk now sits in the middle of the Eliteserien standings at eighth and will host league leaders Rosenborg next weekend at Telenor Arena.

Start 1 - 0 Aalesund

Start's two yanks teamed up to lead the hosts to a shutout victory over Aalesund on Sunday afternoon at Sor Arena in Kristiansand.

Hunter Freeman started at right back and went the distance as did compatriot Clarence Goodson who took his normal spot at center back.

The Americans hooked up for the game's only goal as Goodson picked up his second goal of the season with Freeman assiting on the score.

Freeman also picked up a yellow card in the early stages of the first half for a foul on Aalesund striker Demaret Phillips.

Goodson's goal came in just the fourth minute of play as a corner kick was played out to Freeman who was alone on the right edge of the penalty box.

The native Texan crossed into the area which Goodson thundered home.

Aalesund would look to equalize but came up short versus the Start defense which registered its first shutout since May 12th when they blanked Kongsvinger.

The victory pushes Start up the Eliteserien standings to seventh with 25 points as they travel to Molde next weekend.

Viking 4 - 0 Honefoss

Kenneth Di Vita Jensen got the start but it was one to forget as Honefoss were walloped on the road at Viking Stadion on Sunday.

Di Vita Jensen started at right midfielder and went the distance in the desultory defeat while fellow American Steve Clark watched from the bench as the reserve goalkeeper.

Viking pieced together two first half goals coupled with two late strikes in the second half to claim the three points.

The first goal came in the 22nd minute when a Trond Erik Bertelsen throw in hit Alexander Ødegaard in stride who then turned and sent a shot past Honefoss netminder Thomas Solvoll.

Just 12 minutes later the hosts doubled the margin amid some controversey. A corner from Ødegaard was headed in by Børre Steenslid however a whistle right as Steenslid made contact froze the Honefoss defense who believed that a foul had been committed.

The referee ruled that the goal stood enraging Solvoll who voiced his displeasure and earned a yellow card.

Di Vita Jensen almost got Honefoss back into the match with efforts on each side of halftime. Three minutes before the break, his combination with Davy Claude Angan would go for nought while two minutes after the break, his header from close range would miss just wide.

Viking put the match away in the 86th minute with Patrick Ingelsten talling the third goal for the hosts. Stefán Gislason played in a through ball perfectly to Ingelsten who then slid a shot past Solvoll.

Seven minutes later in the waning moments of second half stoppage time, Ingelsten would score again by volleying in a shot that had been deflected out by Solvoll.

Honefoss remain mired in 14th place in the Eliteserien following the defeat and will host Lillestrom next Sunday.


Colin Burns sat on the bench as the reserve goalkeeper during Sarpsborg's 2-1 loss at Strommen.

Joseph Bendik was the backup goalkeeper for Sogndal who defeated Follo in a thrilling 4-3 affair.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna