DAVID SMITH - Friday, August 13, 2010
Babajide Ogunbiyi and Viborg had no problems to get past Kjellerup to reach the second round while Benny Feilhaber saw late minutes for Aarhus as they blew past Holstebro.

Kjellerup 0 - 2 Viborg FF

Babajide Ogunbiyi and Viborg moved on to the second round of the Danish Cup with a solid two-goal victory over Kjellerup on Wednesday.

Despite coming out clearly as the aggressors, Viborg had their usual troubles putting the ball into the net of their lower division hosts, and were disappointed to head into halftime knotted at zero despite a number of chances.

They came out of the break clearly with a mind to avoid what would be a humiliating upset, and needed just two minutes to push ahead. Marc Dal Hende did all the work in pushing up the wing and played a pass into the area towards Jesper Kjærulff, who smashed it into goal to give Viborg the lead.

With the first score in hand, The Greens had slight troubles making headway for a second, but finally mustered the gumption to add the insurance goal with 12 minutes remaining when Eldin Karisik was pulled down in the penalty area, with Kjærulff converting from the spot for his second of the evening.

Viborg will hope to carry their momentum into league action beginning with a Sunday afternoon home game against FC Vestsjælland.

Holstebro 1 - 4 AGF Aarhus

Benny Feilhaber shook off any tiredness from his long flight back to Denmark following the USA's game against Brazil in New Jersey, taking the field for the final 20 minutes and receiving a yellow card in AGF's 4-1 win over Holstebro two days later.

Having already played the opening half in the loss against Brazil on Tuesday evening, Feilhaber saw a quick turnaround and made a case for Iron Man status in Aarhus in playing his second game on two continents in just over 48 hours.

Holstebro already gave themselves a huge mountain to climb in the opening minutes when Jesper Dalsgaard mistakenly cut a corner from Jakob Poulsen into his net giving Aarhus the third-minute lead, then made a case for his worst game ever when he headed a ball over his keeper, who had come off the line, to literally gift their guests a 2-0 lead after just 26 minutes.

Ever the polite guests, Aarhus returned the favor after 35 minutes when a clumsy challenge on Kim Kristensen in the area gave the Holstebro player the chance to bring one back for the hosts.

After the bizarre first half, the game settled down in a predictable manner after the break, with AGF adding a third - this time scored by their own player Jens Gjesing - just before the hour mark, then putting an exclamation on the game with 20 minutes remaining thanks to Stephan Petersen.

With the game firmly in hand, Feilhaber entered the field just following the team's fourth goal, quickly picking up a yellow card in the process as the team kept the rest of the game in check for the 4-1 win.

Feilhaber will have another short turnaround of just three days until AGF's next game, a Sunday afternoon league matchup with newly promoted Brønshøj BK in Aarhus.


Jamil Fearrington was rested in Roskilde's first-round game in Birkerød, who ended put up a surprising 3-2 win to knock their First Division visitors out of the competition, assuring that Roskilde will have nothing to distract them from their league campaign.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion