ANDREW VORCE - Monday, October 18, 2010
Tim Howard and Everton picked up all three points at home to Merseyside rivals Liverpool, while Brad Friedel and Villa held league leaders Chelsea to a goalless draw in a full slate of English action.

Everton 2 - 0 Liverpool

Tim Howard and Everton won their most important game so far in their Premier League campaign, a win which could jump start their season.

Everton started on the front foot, getting off the bat half an hour in. Seamus Coleman showed no mercy down the right flank before cutting the ball back across the six yard box, where Tim Cahill was waiting. The Australian wasted no time, putting the ball into the top corner leaving Pepe Reina no chance in the 34th.

Liverpool had a big week off the field with NESV buying the team from Tom Hicks and George Gillette, but were unable to replicate that success on the field. The visitors failed to clear their lines, as a header out fell straight to the feet of Mikel Arteta. Under little pressure, Arteta was able to tee himself up to fire through the crowd and into the back of the net in the 50th.

Cahill and Jermaine Beckford were both booked for Everton, while Raul Meireles, Maxi Rodriguez, and Fernando Torres all saw yellow for Liverpool. Up next for the Toffees, an away trip to Tottenham.

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Chelsea

Brad Friedel did his job as his spirited Aston Villa squad held Chelsea to a goalless draw.

Chelsea were missing Dider Drogba and Frank Lampard, and failed to create much pressure on Friedel's goal. James Collins hit the post for Villa, while Nicolas Anelka was unable to fashion a goal with his late chance.

Claran Clark, Stephen Ireland, Stephen Warnock, and Ashley Young were all booked for Aston Villa, while Michael Essien, Josh McEachran, and John Terry were all booked for Chelsea. Up next for Villa is an away trip to Sunderland next Saturday.

Bolton 2 - 1 Stoke

Stuart Holden and Bolton were forced to play with ten men but were able to get the result at home over Stoke.

Lee Chung-Yong got the Trotters off the mark in the 22nd minute after plenty back and forth. The boys in blue showed some slick passing, with Lee putting his body on the line to side foot his shot home just before taking a huge body check.

Rory Delap got the equalizer just after half time as Bolton continuously failed to clear their lines. Finally earning a corner, Stoke found Delap on the far post unmarked to thump home the tying goal.

Holden could have won the game for Bolton, only for the ball to be cleared off the line and out for a throw in. The subsequent play fell to Ivan Klasnic who quickly turned to strike home the game winner in added time. The goal scorer went on to get two yellow cards before the games end to get sent off.

Gretar Rafn Steinsson was booked for Bolton, while Robert Huth and Dean Whitehead were both booked for Stoke. Up next for Bolton

Fulham 1 - 2 Tottenham

Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson watched as controversy at both ends saw Fulham lose their lead to the traveling Tottenham.

It was all Fulham from the get go, and Clint Dempsey proved to be the difference maker. With a suspicion of hand ball, Dempsey showed his skill and strength before finding Diomansy Kamara who was unable to miss 30 minutes in.

Tottenham immediately answered back as Rafael van der Vaart showed skill inside the box before attempting to chip Mark Schwarzer. The shot was a touch too heavy, but it deflected off of the crossbar and to Roman Pavlyuchenko who had the simplest of tap ins.

Controversy surrounded the game winner as Tom Huddlestone blasted a long range shot that beat Schwarzer. William Gallas was offside and the linesman raised his flag to signal that Gallas had interfered with the play, but referee Mike Dean overturned the decision to allow the goal to stand in the 63rd minute.

Wolverhampton 1 - 1 West Ham

Marcus Hahnemann was beaten from the spot as Wolves paid the price at not finishing West Ham off early who did not have Jonathan Spector in their line up.

Matthew Jarvis scored the game opener just ten minutes in as West Ham scrambled to battle the possession of Wolves. Jarvis ended up being the benefactor to a slew of passes to get the game opening goal.

Victor Obinna drew a penalty from Kevin Foley to allow Mark Noble to step up to convert from the spot, sending Hahnemann the wrong way in the 53rd minute. Fredric Piquionne was twice denied a goal, once by Hahnemann's cross bar, and the other by the referee who called his 92nd minute goal back by a questionable handball card. The forward was the only player booked in the game, penalized for the handball.

Wolves take on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, while West Ham play host to Newcastle United.

Carlisle United 1-2 Exeter City

Frank Simek and newly on-loan striker Mike Grella both took part for Carlisle United as they fell to Exeter City in League One play this weekend.

Simek started and went the full ninety minutes while Grella came on in half time for the Cumbrians.

In the 19th minute, Exeter City found the back of the net when a Ryan Harley one touch pass found Richard Logan who slotted home the opening goal of the game.

Just three minutes later Liam Sercombe found a streaking Logan who did not falter in front of goal once again.

The 71st minute saw the Cumbrians pull one back off of an impressive free-kick goal from Matty Robson.

Rob Edwards and Sercombe finished with yellow cards for Exeter while James Chester and Bernard Zoko were booked for Carlisle.

The Cumbrians host Charlton Athletic next week while the Grecians travel to play Milton Keynes Dons.

Port Vale 0-0 Gillingham

Jemal Johnson and Port Vale tied Gillingham in League Two action this Saturday.

Johnson did not start the game but came on for an injured Robert Taylor in the 25th minute.

Vale went the majority of the game without threatening at goal and could be considered lucky for leaving the contest with keeping their opponents off the scoreboard.

The 36th minute saw Gillingham almost open the scoring when Chris Palmer nearly put his team ahead if it was not for a great piece of defending by Gareth Owen.

It was not until late in the second half that the Valiants threatened goal. Johnson's shot was saved by Alan Julian and Marc Richard's rebound effort was also blocked by the Gillingham goalie.

Gillingham's Mark Bentley received the only yellow card of the match by either team.

Vale next travel to play Cheltenham Town next week while Gillingham take on Torquay United.


Conor Doyle was left on the bench as Derby County beat Preston North End.

Anton Peterlin did not suit up as Plymouth lost to Notts County.

Seb Harris did not take part in Northampton Town's loss to Hereford United.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion