Sunday, October 24, 2010
Maurice Edu and Rangers roared to victory on Sunday afternoon courtesy of another second half comeback to take all three points against their bitter crosstown rivals Celtic.

Edu started at central midfielder for head coach Walter Smith and went the distance in this latest installment of the Old Firm.

The victory for the Light Blues at Celtic Park gives them an important leg up in what will be yet another two horse race in the Scottish Premier League.

Both teams had arrived into the match winners of their first eight, but it would be Rangers who would stay undefeated while the Hoops were left licking their wounds in front of their home fans.

For the second week in a row, Smith's team was left to dig themselves out of a first half hole as Gary Hooper tallied for the hosts right before the break.

A series of corner kicks in favor of Celtic built up the momentum before the goal and just seconds before the halftime whistle, Sung-Yong Ki's set piece from the corner flag skipped through the area to Hooper who nodded it home at the back post.

Again Smith was obligated to inspire a comeback out of his weary and fatigued team who were coming off an emotional Champions League draw versus Valencia, but the two time defending SPL champions were up for the task.

The rally started three minutes into the second half when Steven Davis sent in a free kick that Kyle Laffery bounced off his thigh toward goal.

Celtic defender Glenn Loovens tried to deflect Laffetry's nudge out of danger but could only watch as the ball trickled into the back of the net.

With the score level, striker Kenny Miller would then return to his voracious goal-scoring ways to secure the three points for the visitors in the 54th minute when Steven Naismith intercepted an attempted clearance and dished the ball forward into the area to Edu.

Although the American did not get a touch on the ball, he hurried the Celtic defense into another poor clearance which fell right to Miller and there was no denying the SPL's leading scorer who rocketed in a shot.

Twelve minutes later, the stunned audience at Parkhead had to endure more misery after Rangers' Kirk Broadfoot was fouled in the penalty area by Celtic's Daniel Majstorovic.

It was a questionable call but the referee pointed right to the spot and Miller stepped up and banked the kick in off the right post to complete the scoring.

The emphatic victory gives Rangers a three point lead over the Hoops and now puts Edu and company at a perfect 27 points through nine matches.

Rangers next return to action on Wednesday versus Kilmarnock in the Scottish League Cup.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna