DAVID SMITH - Friday, October 29, 2010
Babajide Ogunbiyi and Viborg were shut out of the Danish Cup thanks to a penalty shootout while Benny Feilhaber watched from afar as Aarhus advanced to the quarterfinals past Varde.

Viborg FF 1 - 1 Aalborg BK (pen: 4-5)

Babajide Ogunbiyi played the full 120 minutes for Viborg on Tuesday night as they took on Aalborg in the fourth round of the Danish Cup, however the team was unfortunate to see their hopes of reaching the quarterfinals dashed by a penalty shootout loss.

Aalborg players Chris Rolfe and Marcus Tracy both missed the game as they are recovering from long-term injuries.

Viborg came out firing on full cylinders, however it was Aalborg who struck first, grabbing the lead after 11 minutes. Nicklas Helenius was the recipient of a fine pass into the area, and the young forward beat keeper Robert Veselovsky in the one-on-one to put the visitors ahead.

Viborg stuck to their gameplan and applied extensive pressure on their struggling visitors, and nearly evened just moments later when a dangerous free kick form Philip Rassmussen flew just out of reach of Ogunbiyi's head.

Both teams created moments of danger in their attack, with Viborg eventually pulling even two minutes before the halftime whistle when Eldin Karisik completed a darting run with a blast that Aalborg keeper Karim Zaza had little chance to save.

While the second half continued in the uptempo vein of the first, neither team had the guile to break down the opposing defense, eventually sending the game into 30 minutes of overtime.

Marc Dal Hende nearly put Viborg ahead in the first minute of the extra period when he forced Zaza into a save, then Aalborg created some nervous moments just after when Henrik Dalsgaard and Jeppe Curth both hit the post in rapid succession.

The game finally went to a shootout from the spot, with both teams hitting their first four attempts before Rassmussen finally missing on their deciding fifth shot, sending Aalborg through to the next round.

After his strong outing as usual in Viborg's central defense, Ogunbiyi did not have the chance to try his hand in the shootout.

Viborg will next visit Naestved in First Division action on Sunday while Aalborg travel to Randers in Superligaen play.

Odense BK 2 - 3 FC Nordsjaelland

Michael Parkhurst and Norsdjaelland kept their defense of the Danish Cup on track, scoring an impressive victory on the road against a tough Odense team to reach the quarterfinal round.

Despite playing away from their native Farum Park, the Wild Tigers started out on the offensive and managed to convert it into the opening score just past the half-hour mark. A corner by Anders Due was headed into a dangerous position by Daniel Jenson, and Andreas Granskov-Hansen was happy to poke it over the line to give the visitors the 1-0 lead.

They looked well on their way just before the halftime whistle when Granskov-Hanson laid a perfect pass into the box for Rawez Lawan, who had no problems to beat the keeper to put his team up by two.

Odense brought one back moments after the resumption of play after the break, when the Nordsjaelland defense dealt poorly with a corner, allowing Kalilou Mohamed Traoré to deflect his shot off a defender an into the net in the 47th minute.

The next 20-plus minutes of play turned rather chippy, with the referee forced to pull out the yellow card five times in a 23-minute span, until Odense equalized with 15 minutes remaining in regulation as Hans Henrik Andreasen powered through the defense to leave keeper Jepser Hansen with no chance for the save.

With the game looking to be headed to a nervous overtime period, the Wild Tigers finally scored the dramatic victory with eight minutes left. After several minutes of nail-biting pressure from the hosts, Granskov-Hansen slipped a precision pass to Due in the area, who calmly pushed his shot past opposing keeper Alexander Lund Hansen and into goal, securing advancement to the quarterfinal for the jubilant visitors.

Parkhurst and his teammates will get yet another crack at Odense on Monday night in Farum Park when they return to league play.


Benny Feilhaber was rested due to a minor ankle injury and did not take part in Aarhus' 1-0 win on Wednesday over third-division Varde IF to reach November's quarterfinal round.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion