DAVID SMITH - Monday, November 1, 2010
Benny Feilhaber and Aarhus widened their lead atop the First Division with a rally against AB Copenhagen Babajide Ogunbiyi and Viborg won a vital six-pointer on their visit to Naestved.

FC Nordsjaelland 1 - 4 Odense BK

Michael Parkhurst saw time as a second-half substitute, filling in at right back for injured teammate Henrik Kildentoft as Nordsjaelland were blown apart by a first-half Odense surge on Monday night.

The visitors had revenge on their minds after seeing their Danish Cup hopes end at the hands of the Wild Tigers just four days before, and hit the ground running as they tried to make their points.

Nordsjaelland were caught off guard in the sixth minute when a counter-attack saw Odense coming forward in numbers, with Johan Absalonsen finally hitting his shot from a tight angle to put his team ahead.

They needed just seven minutes longer to double their lead when lax defending allowed Kalilou Mohamed Traoré too much space and a completely free crack on goal, giving the visitors the lightening-quick 2-0 advantage.

They then extended it to three just before the half-hour mark, with suspect defending by the Wild Tigers again allowing too much space, this time to Espen Ruud, who netted to the far post with little problem.

Nordsjaelland coach Morten Wieghorst certainly gave his squad an earful during the halftime break, as they quickly pulled one goal back three minutes after the restart thanks to a fine header by central defender Andreas Bjelland.

Parkhurst entered the game after 55 minutes when right back Henrik Kildentoft went down to injury, and the back line continued to hold the Odense attack until they finally added a fourth just before the end of regulation with Hans Henrik Andreasen doing the honors for the visitors.

The loss drops the Wild Tigers to ninth place in the standings, now just a single point above the drop zone. They will next visit Silkeborg IF on Sunday.

AGF Aarhus 4 - 3 AB Copenhagen

Benny Feilhaber started in midfield for Aarhus, playing 88 minutes on Sunday afternoon as the team returned from two goals down to beat AB Copenhagen in a thrilling top of the standings battle.

Aarhus came out flying, coming close several times in first couple minutes before Kasper Povlsen set up Peter Graulund for their opening score in the fourth minute.

Considering their flying start, the Aarhus squad was surprised when their guests equalized four minutes later, as a quick series of passes left Caspar Henningsen in position to hit his blast from 22 yards out leaving Steffen Rassmussen no chance for the save.

Copenhagen went on to take the lead in the 18th minute when Klaus Lykke directed in a free kick from Carsten Fredgaard, then added a third just past the half-hour mark when Daniel Boysen connected on a corner kick to give the Aarhus the biggest threat to their so-far undefeated season.

The Whites brought one back six minutes before the half, as English midfielder Mark Howard found his countryman Adam Eckersley streaking in from the edge of the area, with the latter easily beating keeper Jens Waltorp Sørensen.

Aarhus then equalized after 54 minutes, with a Copenhagen corner leading to a quick counter-attack that culminated with Graulund setting up Stephan Petersen for a fine jab just inside the corner of goal.

Like clockwork Aarhus pulled down the full three points, with a slight jumble in the box leaving the ball at Graulund's feet, who calmly put away the 73rd minute winner for the hosts.

The win now give Aarhus a commanding five-point edge on second-place Vejle, with a chance to further extend their lead and undefeated run when they visit Fredericia on Sunday.

Naestved BK 0 - 1 Viborg FF

Babajide Ogunbiyi went the distance for Viborg on Sunday, helping the team maintain a shut-out over Naestved as they posted an important narrow victory.

Both teams struggled hard for supremacy in the midfield, leading to a chippy encounter with constant fouling and no real rhythm to the attack on either end.

Naestved shifted control of possession in their favor after the break and took more the role of aggressor, limiting Viborg mainly to counter-attack opportunities.

One such situation led to a 58th minute corner for the guests, which Marc Dal Hende was able to pounce upon and smash into the net for the ultimate winner for Viborg.

The hosts pushed consistently for the draw, knowing the loss would sink them deeper into the relegation zone, but the strong Viborg defense held on, securing the victory.

Viborg now enjoy a three-point gap above the relegation zone with the win, and will have the chance to jump several spaces in the First Division standings when they host last-place Fyn on Friday evening.


Marcus Tracy and Chris Rolfe are both recovering from long-term injuries and missed Aalborg's scoreless draw on Saturday at Randers.

Jamel Johnson did not suit up for Fyn as they were on the wrong end of a 3-0 blow out at the hands of Fredericia on Sunday.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion

Ligue 1, Jupiler Pro League (Belgium), Timothy Weah, Lille, Eredivisie, Holland, Paris FC, Jong PSV, Anderlecht, SC Telstar