CLINT WADDELL - Monday, November 22, 2010
Matthew Taylor continues his goal-scoring streak in the third league for Ahlen while Michael Bradley and Borussia Mönchengladbach were once again on the losing end of an exciting game at home.

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2-3 Mainz 05

Michael Bradley went the full 90 minutes for Gladbach as the Foals failed to pick up any points at home against Mainz 05 on Saturday.

Borussia Mönchengladbach's struggles at home continue. Michael Frontzeck's team were hoping to use the momentum from last weekend's win against rivals Cologne as they went up against a Mainz team that had lost five of its last six.

The first half ended scoreless as both teams fought to win ground and were only able to muster a few chances. American midfielder Bradley was given a yellow card in the 21st minute for an unfair challenge against Radoslav Zabavnik near the sideline.

Mainz had to make a couple of first half substitutions when 39-year-old Martin Pieckenhagen replaced the injured goalkeeper Christian Wetklo in the 25th minute and Lewis Holtby came on for Malik Fathi just 12 minutes later.

The best chance of the half was set up by Bradley in the 40th minute as he headed a ball forward in the penalty area for Igor de Camargo who was able to get a foot on the ball but wasn't able to get a shot off. Replays showed that goalkeeper Pieckenhagen had tripped up de Camargo in the box and a penalty kick could have been given.

Bradley was involved again after the break as he gathered the ball near midfield in the 53rd minute and sent a long pass into the box for Marco Reus who rifled a volley past Pieckenhagen to put the Foals up a goal. It was also Gladbach's 2,500th goal in the Bundesliga.

Mainz would level things up in the 64th minute as Adam Szalai put a pass between defenders Filip Daems and Anderson to set up Andre Schürrle whose shot went past Gladbach goalkeeper Christofer Heimeroth into the near corner.

The pace increased as the game went on and it would be Gladbach that struck next. Bradley played the ball from the Gladbach half to Reus who ran the field and laid it off to Raul Bobdailla. He played played the ball back to Reus with his heel who was able to then put it in the back of the net, giving the Foals another lead.

Mainz had to substitute yet another player due to injury when Sami Allagui came on for Marcel Risse. It turned out to be a great substitution as Allagui directed a pass into the box just 70 seconds when he was able to direct a pass into the box past Heimeroth to equalize in the 76th minute. Nearly a mirror image of Reus's first goal earlier in the half.

Allagui would show off his skills once again just before the final whistle. He won a foot race to the ball following a long pass from defender Christian Fuchs, lobbed the ball over Heimeroth and then headed the ball in himself to put Mainz up by one in the 88th minute.

The loss puts Gladbach in last place facing a hard test next Saturday against league-leaders Dortmund.

Augsburg 3-1 Karlsruher SC

US goalkeeper Luis Robles had a rough day between the sticks as Augsburg struck twice within three minutes near the end of the game to get three points at home.

The game started out well for KSC as the team was dominant for most of the first half. In the 14th minute, Sebastian Langkamp was able to connect with a corner but his well-directed header was saved by Augsburg goalkeeper Simon Jentzsch.

It would remain the only real scoring opportunity until the 38th minute when Augsburg midfielder Tobias Werner was able to put a cross from Ibrahima Traore past goalkeeper Robles.

The second half would start off well for Karlsruhe, as the team tried to increase the pressure on Augsburg and even the score. It would take just under 10 minutes to get the equalizer as Jentzsch couldn't hold on to a hard shot from Michael Mutzel and Lukas Rupp was able to put in the rebound in the 53rd minute.

Augsburg went back on the offensive over the next 20 minutes and was able to create several good scoring opportunities. In the 73rd minute, KSC would be reduced to just 10 men when Matthias Langkamp received his second yellow card and was sent off.

The next bad turn of events would occur in the 84th minute as Karlsruhe was unable to clear a blocked shot from midfielder Sören Bertram and forward Torsten Oehrl slid the ball past Robles to put Ausgburg in the lead. Just three minutes later, Michael Thurk made it a two goal lead with a well-shot direct kick.

In the 90th minute, it was Thurk again with a shot on goal but a good reaction from Robles kept it from being a three goal lead.

Robles and KSC will go up against Oberhausen next Sunday as the team tries to put an end to its series of nine games without a win.

Ahlen 4-2 Aalen

Matthew Taylor scored and went the distance for Ahlen as the team beat Aalen and extended its winning streak to four.

It would be Aalen who would strike first after a long pass from Goalkeeper Daniel Bernhardt was collected by Martin Dausch in the 13th minute who put his shot past Ahlen keeper Philipp Kühn.

The guests would double their lead just minutes later when Christian Haas intercepted a back pass from Ahlen defender David Vrzogic in the 20th minute and put his shot past Kühn.

Taylor almost cut the lead to one 10 minutes later when his header ricocheted off the post and back into the playing field. But Ahlen would finally get its first goal before the end of the first half when Sebastian Hille hit the back of the net.

In the second half, it was all Ahlen. In the 62nd minute, Marcus Piossek put a free-kick past Bernhardt and just two minutes later Ahlen went up a goal when Christian Alder redirected a free kick into the back of the net.

Taylor would put the final nail in the coffin when he got the better of Bernhardt in a one-on-one situation, doubling the margin in the 78th minute.

Ahlen will take the four-game winning streak on the road next Saturday when the team takes on Erfurt.


Steven Cherundolo was serving a suspension and DaMarcus Beasley was an unused substitute as Hannover beat Hamburg 3-2 at home on Saturday.

Head coach Felix Magath left Jermaine Jones out of the squad for Schalke's home game against Werder Bremen on Saturday. Schalke would use a hat-trick from Raul to win 4-0 against a slumping Bremen team. Magath said in interviews that Jones is going through a "bad phase".

American midfielder Ricardo Clark was in the squad but didn't see any playing time for Eintracht Frankfurt as the team was blown out by Hoffenheim 4-0 on Saturday.

Defender Daniel Williams was an unused substitute for Freiburg as the team lost to Dortmund 2-1 after leading 1-0 at the half.

Forward Kenny Cooper was left out of the squad that faced FSV Frankfurt on Sunday as he continues to recover from a broken ankle. 1860 Munich would go on to tie 3-3.

Amaechi Igwe is still working his way back to fitness and was not on the bench for Ingolstadt on Saturday as the team beat Bochum 4-1.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion