Should U.S. Soccer bring back the U.S. Cup?
Absolutely. It would be far more competitive than the CONCACAF Nations League.
No. The international calendar is already congested.
Not sure.
ANDREW VORCE - Monday, January 10, 2011
Jonathan Spector scored yet again for West Ham while Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey scored wins against weaker opposition however Marcus Hahnemann's return was less than ideal in a full weekend of FA Cup action.

Scunthorpe 1 - 5 Everton

Tim Howard was beaten just once on a wonder strike but Everton had their shooting boots on as they hit Scunthorpe for five.

Louis Saha continued his run of fine play, hitting another early goal. Having scored against Tottenham in the midweek with an early strike, Saha decided to try his luck again and beat Joe Murphy with a low shot.

Jermaine Beckford finally got on the score sheet against his former club as Leighton Baines picked out the forward's good run. With a quality ball in from Baines, Beckford's redirected header left his former goalkeeper with no chance at saving it.

But then Scunthrope halved the deficit after catching the Everton back line sleeping. A big ball over the top found Michael Collins in space and out-sprinting his defender. Waiting for the perfect height Collins latched onto his shot that Howard had no chance at saving just a minute into the second half.

Seamus Coleman restored their two goal lead just minutes later. Beckford turned provider after a deep run before picking his head up to find the best cross in the middle. Coleman beat out his defender and was able to nod home from 10 yards.

Marouane Fellaini put the game to bed with a slow roller from 20 yards out that Murphy really should have done better on, but the shot rolled under the keeper's arms in the 73rd minute.

Baines became Everton's fifth scorer of the night as he tucked away a beauty in the 83rd minute. Picking up possession inside of the 18, Baines picked up his head to spot the keeper marginally too far to the near post and sent in an inch perfect shot over the keeper's head and into the back netting.

Only John Heitinga was booked in the game while Everton travel to Anfield to take on rivals Liverpool next weekend.

West Ham 2 - 0 Barnsley

Jonathan Spector's first half goal secured a home win and passage into the next round of the FA Cup for West Ham United.

Spector continued his cup goals after sending West Ham past Manchester United with a pair of goals in the Carling Cup. Occupying the same position against Barnsley, Spector was on frame again with a 29th minute far post shot after good work from Mark Noble.

Frederic Piquionne scored a late second goal after Barnsley had a shot ricochet off of the bar and in.

Barnsley also had a penalty claim waived off by Neil Swarbrick after Adam Hammill went down in the box. West Ham pushed on and the game was nailed shut after Piquionne's late second.

There were no yellow cards issued in the game as West Ham quickly turn around to face Birmingham at home on Tuesday.

Sheffield United 1 - 3 Aston Villa

Brad Friedel was forced to come up clutch against a plucky Sheffield United who were not intimidated by the Premier League big dogs.

The only difference between the two teams was the finishing as Villa made the most of their chances. Kyle Walker got the scoring started with style after a clever link up saw the ball fall to the defender. Juking his way through the midfield and to the edge of the area, Walker kept his poise as he slotted Steve Simonsen just nine minutes in.

Marc Albrighton was in the right place at the right time after good work from Ashley Young down the wing. Working the left flank, Young was allowed to send his pass across the face of the six yard box where Albrighton was on hand to smash home in the 33rd.

Lee Williamson forced Carlos Cuellar into a poor challenge inside the 18 in the 48th minute and Michael Jones stepped up to halve the deficit.

Friedel had numerous saves as Sheffield United continued to push forward, but Stiliyan Petrov put the game to rest after coming off the bench to score. After earlier misses, Petrov made no mistake in the closing stages by clinically putting his shot past Simonsen.

Young was sent off in the 77th minute after picking up two petulant yellow cards, each time after losing the ball out to a Blades player and making a rash tackle. Only Petrov was booked on the Villa side while Robert Kozluk was also booked. Up next for Villa is a trip to Birmingham.

Fulham 6 - 2 Peterborough

Eddie Johnson sat on the bench while Clint Dempsey started as Fulham thrashed Peterborough at home.

Peterborough started well and David Stockdale was forced into key saves early on, but Fulham finally woke up and got the opener 32 minutes in. Chris Baird sent in a far post cross and Diomansy Kamara was on hand to nod home from point blank range.

Damien Duff had chances to score when his cross just before half time opened up the Posh back line. His cross fell to the feet of Dickson Etuhu who blasted goalward with his shot taking a slight deflection past Joe Lewis.

Danny Murphy then slotted Kamara through, breaking the offsides trap. His speed took him clear into space and he slotted past Lewis in the 59th minute. Soon thereafter Dempsey was subbed off for Jonathan Greening.

Zoltan Gera came on at half time and hit home in the 66th after an inch perfect cross from Duff for the sub to nod home. Tomlin scored in the 72nd minute after racing down the flank before smashing home an arrowed drive into the far corner.

Greening got an assist after coming on to give Kamara his hat trick in the 76th minute after a clever cut back. Kamara made no mistake with a sidefoot finish past the goalkeeper. Substitute Rafik Halliche tripped up Craig Mackail-Smith in the box, allowing Grant McCann to step up and score his penalty kick. Greening added a goal to his name with a sidefooted effort in the final minute.

Brede Hangeland was the only player booked in the outing as Fulham next face Wigan at DW Stadium.

Doncaster 2 - 2 Wolverhampton

Marcus Hahnemann did himself no favors when he regained the starting spot for Wolves but was beaten twice in the FA Cup against Doncaster.

Wolves went ahead in the 38th minute through a moment of brilliance by Nenad Milijas. The visitors struggled to get a foothold in the game as Doncaster pushed hard for the opener, but Milijas' 30 yard rocket left Neil Sullivan helpless.

Doncaster were never short of self-belief and got the equalizer just three minutes later when Billy Sharp was given the time and space inside the area to do damage. Coppinger fed the striker a low ball and after a smart turn, the resulting shot equalized matters.

Just two minutes later, the Championship club had the lead. John Oster headed a ball into the box and it fell to James Hayter who swung a volley past Hahnemann.

Stephen Hunt then equalized in the 58th minute after Sam Hird tripped Matt Jarvis in the box, resulting in a penalty kick.

Oster and Sullivan were booked in the game while Milijas was booked for Wolves. George Olokobi was shown a straight red card in the 77th minute as Wolves were unable to get the game winner.

Up next for Wolves is a very difficult trip to Manchester City.

Norwich City 0-1 Leyton Orient

Zak Whitbread and Norwich City went down in the FA Cup to Leyton Orient this weekend.

Whitbread, fresh off of a long injury lay off, started and went the full ninety minutes in the Canaries' loss to Orient.

It only took Orient until the 20th minute to score their first and only goal of the game, when Jimmy Smith headed home a Dean Cox cross, sending them to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

City came close to scoring minutes after Orient's goal when Aaron Wilbraham connected on a cross from Russell Martin. His effort went just wide of the goal.

The Canaries' final scoring chance came in injury time when Anthony McNamee' shot was saved by Orient goalie Jamie Jones. Grant Holt pounced on the subsequent corner, but was off the mark.

City's David Fox and Russell Martin were booked while Orient's Jones and Andrew Whing received yellow cards.

Norwich next plays Cardiff in Championship action while Orient takes on Rochdale in League One play.

Carlisle United 0-1 Torquay United

Frank Simek and Carlisle United were taken out of the FA Cup by Torquay United this weekend.

Simek started and went the full ninety minutes for the Cumbrians. Mike Grella did not make the game day lineup for Carlisle.

It only took Torquay six minutes to score the only goal of the game when Eunan O'Kane drove a hard shot passed Adam Collin's net.

The 83rd minute saw the Cumbrians almost salvage a point when a scramble in front of the goal nearly resulted in a goal for Carlisle.

Nicky Wroe and Branston received yellow cards for Torquay while Tom Taiwo and Simek were booked for Carlisle.

Torquay have a short layoff and play Crewe Alexandria on Tuesday while Carlisle take on the Bristol Rovers next week.


Brad Guzan was cup tied and not given permission to play from his parent club Aston Villa. Hull City went down to Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

Jemal Johnson did not feature in Milton Keynes Dons League One game against Exeter City.

Anton Peterlin never left the bench as Plymouth Argyle were thumped by AFC Bournemouth.

Stuart Holden's Bolton won 2-0 at home against York.
Alan Tong
Sunday January 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Great reports as always. I hope you are doing well.

Wolves will re-create the great escape again this year. Their points gained do not reflect their performances thus far.

Best regards,


Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The Austrian Bundesliga resumed its season on Tuesday, with Erik Palmer-Brown stepping foot on the field.
Marsch Leads Salzburg To Cup Title
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Sign New Deal
Wins All Around For US Coaches
YA Transfer Tracker