DAVID SMITH - Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Josh Gatt continued to see substitute action for Molde as they were victorious over Brann while Steve Clark and Hønefoss pushed into the Adeccoligaen's top two win a home win against Løv-Ham.

Brann Bergen 1 - 3 Molde FK

Josh Gatt saw the field for the final 25 minutes on Monday night as a pair of early goals from Senegalese striker Pape Pate Diouf carried Molde to a their second win of the season.

American defender Sean Cunningham was an unused substitute for the visitors and is still awaiting his professional debut for the team.

The visitors wasted no time to surge to the lead, going ahead in the tenth minute when a lob to just inside Brann's area was headed down to the top edge by Magne Hoset. Diouf controlled the ball and evaded a crowd of defenders before aiming his shot to the right of Piotr Leciejewski, just inside the post.

They put the game effectively out of reach 11 minutes later with Diouf again doing the honors, connecting with a short chipped pass from El Hadji Makhtar Thioune for a highlight-reel sliding volley from the left side of goal for 2-0.

Brann had an opportunity to claw one back on the hour mark when they were awarded a spot kick, however Kim Ojo's attempt hit the crossbar, allowing keeper Espen Pettersen to dive onto the loose ball before any attackers could react on the rebound.

They did successfully cut the lead to a single goal seven minutes later after Erik Mjelde struck a beauty of a shot from the top edge of the area just inside the upper left corner.

The Molde defense kept the game tight thereafter, and removed all doubt of the win in the final seconds of regulation after Daniel Chima recovered a ball deep in Brann territory after Zsolt Korcsmár lost his step, then charged towards goal and powered his shot in for the final 3-1 score.

The three points takes Molde up to eighth place in the Tippeligaen standings. They will host the struggling powerhouse Rosenborg BK in their next game on Sunday.

Stabaek IF 3 - 1 Fredrikstad FK

Mikkel Diskerud was a 90-minute man for Stabaek on Monday as they struck early to take the wind out of Frederikstad, and held on for the win.

Stabaek struck after 25 minutes when they were awarded a spot kick, with Veigar Pall Gunnarsson sending the Fredrikstad keeper the wrong way on his blast to the lower right side of goal, then double it four minutes later when Alain Junior Ollé Ollé one-timed a high cross from Gilles Ondo just inside the near post for 2-0.

The visitors held strong and managed to cut the lead to one in the 56th minute. Fredrikstad's Amin Askar brought the ball to the endline on the right side and centered it to Celso Borges in the middle of the area.

Instead of trying to control the ball for a shot, he flicked it back to Alexander Ruud Tveter, who took one touch to control it before hitting his low 18-yarder to the right of keeper Jan Larsen.

The visitors' hopes of completing a come-back on Stataek's home soil were spoiled five minutes later, as Pontus Farnerud headed a long ball into the area down to Gilles Mbang Ondo, whose blast just inside the left post gave Lasse Staw absolutely no chance to paw it to safety.

The victory, their third of the season, raises them to sixth place in the standings, ahead of their trip to struggling FK Haugesund on Sunday.

Bodø/Glimt 1 - 1 HamKam

Jonathan Borrajo went the distance in HamKam's back line on Monday afternoon, picking up an 87th minute yellow card as the team split the points with Bodø/Glimt.

The hosts went ahead after 24 minutes, after a clumsy tackle by Emil Dahle in his team's penalty area forced the referee to award Glimt a spot kick with Jim Johansen slotting it home for 1-0.

They quickly clawed back into the game, scoring the equalizer in the 29th minute when Niklas Tilley Solhaug was free in front of the Glimt keeper, easily beating him with his 12-yard shot to rescue the draw.

The point leaves HamKam just inside the bottom three, still searching for their first win after four games played. They will have a tough time accomplishing that on Sunday when they host joint league leaders Bryne.

Hønefoss BK 2 - 0 Løv-Ham

Steve Clark and Hønefoss put in a strong performance on Monday evening, holding Løv-Ham scoreless while putting a pair on the scoreboard to surge up the standings.

The team got off to the best start possible, when the midfield started a counter inside of the first minute which culminated with Joachim Magnussen rising high to head a cross from Leo Olsen out of the reach of Løv-Ham keeper Johan Thorbjørnsen after just 27 seconds.

The hosts were clearly the better of the two teams throughout the proceedings, and iced the game in the 64th minute as Kristjan Örn Sigurdsson outjumped the defense to get his head on a corner from Lennart Steffensen.

The victory pushes Hønefoss into the midst of a four-way deadlock at the top of the standings with the only difference being goal differential. They will next face one of these teams, with a visit to Ranheim IL looming on Sunday.


Joseph Bednik was the substitute keeper for Sogndal on Monday as their 1-0 loss on the road to Aalesunds FK left them at the bottom of the standings.

Mjøndalen's Rhett Bernstein and Kyle Helton were not in their teams' rosters while Sandefjord backup keeper Colin Burns watched from the benche on Monday as Mjøndalen came up 4-2 winners at home.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion