MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, May 21, 2012
Josh Gatt and Molde took care of business against Sandnes Ulf, while Steve Clark and Hønefoss recorded their second upset this week.

Sandnes Ulf 0 - 2 Molde FK

Distractions didn't affect Molde when it traveled to Sandnes Ulf Sunday.

American winger Josh Gatt played 69 minutes at left midfielder for Molde.

Heading into the game, controversy surrounded the club, started by coach Ole Gunnar Solskjær's trip to Aston Villa on Friday and ending with the team's president leaking information on a meeting between Solskjær and team management Saturday night.

But the players didn't seem wrapped up in that drama on the field.

Gatt opened the scoring for Molde in the 26th minute. Davy Claude Angan got behind the defense before his shot was blocked. The deflection ended up with Mattias Moström, who didn't get completely behind the shot. The ball ended up coming to Gatt, and he helped the ball along into the net from six yards out.

Molde added to its lead in the 52nd minute, when Edier Frejd failed to clear the ball from the backline. Jo Inge Berget got at the end of it, held off Frejd and scored.

From there, Molde cruised to its fourth win in a row.

Molde sits in second place, one point behind leaders Strømsgodset. The team returns to action Thursday against Tromsø.

Stabæk IF 0 - 2 FK Haugesund

Stabæk's woes continued against Haugesund, stretching its losing streak to eight games.

Americans Ricardo Clark and Sean Cunningham started in central midfield and central defense for Stabæk, respectively. Clark played 86 minutes and picked up his fourth yellow card of the season.

It took Haugesund 37 minutes before it broke through. Alexander Søderlund sent a 27-yard free kick under the wall and into the lower left corner for a goal.

Søderlund put the game out of reach with his second goal of the game in the 65th minute. Tor Arne Andreassen headed a Joakim Våge Nilsen cross to Søderlund, who, despite some trouble controlling the ball, tipped it past goalkeeper Mande Sayouba.

Stabæk had chances to score but squandered them in front of the net throughout the game.

With the loss, Stabæk occupies last place, five points behind Fredrikstad and nine points behind 14th place Lillestrøm. Stabæk returns to action Wednesday against Viking.

Hønefoss BK 1 - 0 Vålerenga Oslo

Hønefoss recorded another win in the Tippeligaen against 10-man Vålerenga.

American goalkeeper Steve Clark started in net and recorded his sixth shutout this season for Hønefoss. Forward Kenneth di Vita Jensen made the bench but did not play.

Neither team seemed too dangerous in the first half, but both sides had opportunities go wide toward the end of the half.

In the 30th minute, Vålerenga's Marcus Pedersen stole the ball off defender Kristjan Örn Sigurdsson just outside the 19-yard box. Pedersen took a couple of touches and let a shot fly that ricocheted off Clark's fingertips and the post, before it went back to Pedersen. He headed the ball a few inches wide of the right post.

For Hønefoss, Heiner Mora took some free space on the right wing in the 40th minute and sent a cross into the penalty area. Joachim Magnussen lifted himself up and put a head to the ball from 10 yards out, only to see it go just past the wrong side of the right post.

After a second yellow to Vålerenga Simon Andreas Larsen saw him off in 64th minute, Hønefoss took control of the game.

In the 68th minute, Mats-André Kaland met an Alexander Groven cross and headed home into the upper right corner of the net from six yards out.

The goal was all the Hønefoss needed, as the team controlled possession and forced a couple of saves from Vålerenga goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld in the last 20 minutes.

Hønefoss returns to action Thursday against Haugesund.

Bærum SK 1 - 2 Hamarkameratene

Bærum stretched its losing streak to four games against Hamarkameratene.

American Sebastian Troupe started and played the full 90 minutes at center back for Bærum.

HamKam scored first in the 16th minute, when Christer Jensen found Thomas Lehne Olsen open in the box. Olsen scored easily from close range.

Bærum had an opportunity to tie before halftime, as Rozhat Shaswari was one-on-one with HamKam goalkeeper Gary Hogan. Hogan got a piece of the ball when Shaswari tried to go around him and prevented the goal.

Shaswari would not be denied in the second half, however. In the 57th minute Erblin Llullaku passed the ball to Shaswari, who scored from a tight angle.

The tie game was short-lived. A former Bærum player, Anders Emil Nedrebø, scored from short range after being set up Vegar Bjerke in the 62nd minute.

Bærum couldn't respond after that goal, leading to its fourth-straight loss.

Bærum sits in last place in the Adeccoligaen with two points so far. The team returns to action Wednesday against Mjøndalen.


American Kyle Helton started at left back for Mjøndalen in its 3-0 win over Start. Rhett Bernstein was suspended for picking up two yellow cards in the team's previous match.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna