MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, July 2, 2012
Josh Gatt and Molde stretched its unbeaten streak to seven games, while Sean Cunningham and Stabæk came back to earth with a loss at Brann Bergen.

Molde FK 3 - 1 Odd Grenland Skien

Molde took an easy three points at home against Odd Grenland Saturday.

American winger Josh Gatt came off the bench for the final 45 minutes on the right side of the midfield.

Molde opened up the scoring in the 22nd minute. Mattias Moström dribbled through the defense outside the box to find Jo Inge Berget. Berget took a touch and hit a low shot from 20 yards out to the right of Odd Grenland goalkeeper André Hansen.

Magne Hoseth doubled Molde's lead in the 38th minute. Magnus Wolff Eikrem sent a low corner into the box, and Hoseth, unmarked, sent it into the back of the net from six yards.

After Gatt was introduced early in the second half, he made his mark on the game. In the 62nd minute, Gatt ran rampant behind the defense, forcing Hansen to come quick off his line. Hansen had no chance to get the ball and impeded Gatt, leading to a red card and a penalty for Molde.

Hoseth converted the penalty to put the game away.

In the fifth minute of stoppage time, Odd Grenland picked up a consolation goal. A weak pass in the backline allowed Torgeir Børve to get a breakaway against Molde goalkeeper Ole Søderberg. From 25 yards out, Børve scored into the left side of the net.

With the win, Molde maintained second place in the Tippeligaen with 28 points. Molde returns to action Sunday against Rosenborg.

Strømsgodset IF Drammen 4 - 0 Hønefoss BK

In a matchup of the Tippeligaen's best offense and defense, offense won out, as Strømsgodset shellacked Hønefoss.

American Steve Clark started between the sticks for Hønefoss, while forward Kenneth di Vita Jensen came off the bench in the 56th minute.

Clark and the Hønefoss defense held strong early, but in the 31st minute, the floodgates opened.

Hønefoss' Frode Lafton blocked a shot from Lars Iver Strand, but the rebound ended up at Muhamed Keita's feet. Keita rocketed the ball past Clark at the near post.

Eight minutes later, Ola Kamara put another past Clark. Øyvind Storflor sent a cross over the defense to Kamara, who, alone against Clark, arced the ball over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Kamara scored his second goal of the game three minutes after the restart. Kamara dribbled into the box and tried to center. The ball ricocheted off a Hønefoss defender and into the net.

Kamara finished his hat-trick in the 93 minute, once again finding himself one-on-one with Clark. Anders Ågnes Konradsen passed through a couple of defenders, and Kamara chipped over a charging Clark from seven yards out.

This loss marked only the second time this season that Clark and Hønefoss allowed more than one goal in a game.

Hønefoss still occupies sixth place and returns to action Saturday against Brann.

Brann Bergen 2 - 1 Stabæk IF

Stabæk fell back to earth with a road loss to Brann Saturday.

American defender Sean Cunningham played the entire game in central defense for Stabæk.

Although Stabæk came into the game hot, Brann managed to score first. Stabæk defender Jørgen Hammer stretched out his arm to stop a pass in the box, leading to a penalty. Jamaican international Rudolph Austin put away the penalty.

Brann added to its lead in the 18th minute off a goalkeeping error. Stabæk's Mande Sayouba couldn't handle a back pass from Cunningham, and Kim Ojo stole the ball off the goalkeeper. He then waltzed toward the net and slotted home.

From there, Brann controlled the ball for the rest of half, completing a dominating first 45 minutes.

In the 60th minute, Stabæk struck back. Captain Christer Kleiven received a through pass into the box from Hermann Stengel. He made a nifty move to get some space and beat the goalkeeper to the near post.

After the goal, the game opened up, giving both teams opportunities to have a go at goal. One of the best opportunities occurred in the 75th minute for Brann, when Ojo was in a breakaway, but Cunningham stomped out the attack at the last second.

In the first minute of stoppage time, Stabæk had a chance to equalize, after Bjarte Haugsdal managed to get at the end of a through ball and shoot toward net. The Brann goalkeeper stretched out and made the save, however, maintaining a one-goal lead for his team.

With the loss, Stabæk still occupies last place in the Tippeligaen. The team returns to action against JJK Jyväskylä in the first round of Europa League qualifying Thursday.

Kongsvinger IL 6 - 2 Bærum SK

Bærum's winless start to the 2012 season continued Saturday against Kongsvinger.

American defender Sebastian Troupe started at right back and played the full 90 minutes for Bærum.

Kongsvinger scored the first two goals of the game. The first came in the 11th minute Goran Wigum met Samir Fazlagic's free kick and put it in the back of the net. The second came in the 31st minute, when Andreas Moen timed his run behind the defense perfectly and put it past Bærum goalkeeper Frederick Eriksen.

Bærum answered in the 34th minute. Amahl Pellegrino got behind the defense and made Kongsvinger pay for the mistake.

Things looked good for Bærum in the 54th minute, when Eirik Nervold tied the game, but a minute later, Kongsvinger retook the lead and never relinquished it.

Goals by Olav Tuelo Johannesen (55th minute), Henry Joseph Shindika (64th minute) and Magnus Myklebust (76th and 80th minutes) turned this one into a rout.

Bærum still occupies last place in the Adeccoligaen and returns to action Sunday against Notodden.

Strømmen IF 2- 2 Mjøndalen IF

Mjøndalen picked up only a point after giving up a late goal to Strømmen.

American defender duo Kyle Helton and Rhett Bernstein started for Mjøndalen, with Helton leaving after the first half.

Strømmen struck first in the 12th minute, when Simen Stamsø Møller was unmarked in the box and made Mjøndalen pay.

Mjøndalen answered in the 22nd minute. A couple of good passes opened up the defense for Pål Alexander Kirkevold, who put the ball past goalkeeper Duwayne Kerr.

Kirkevold converted a penalty to give Mjøndalen the lead in the 31st minute, after François Yabre took him down in the box.

Mjøndalen almost held on to win, but Kristoffer Tokstad earned a penalty for Strømmen in the 89th minute. Colin N'kee converted it, and the teams split the points.

Mjøndalen sits in 11th place and returns to action Sunday against Kongsvinger.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


The final stretch of the English league season is upon us, with several Americans on the verge of relegation with their teams.
Tale of Two Young Yanks in Europe
Wagner Nears Premier League Goal
YA lineup prediction vs. T&T
vom Steeg lands at Fortuna