MATHEW WAGNER - Monday, July 30, 2012
Steve Clark and Hønefoss used offense to jump into European contention, while Sebastian Troupe and Bærum suffered yet another disappointing loss.

Hønefoss BK 3- 2 FK Haugesund

For only the second time this season, Hønefoss scored more than two goals in its win over Haugesund Sunday.

American goalkeeper Steve Clark played 90 minutes in net for Hønefoss, while forward Kenneth di Vita Jensen played out the string, seeing the last four minutes.

The hosts looked the livelier of the teams from the start, but neither team broke through until the 39th minute. Riku Riski led a counterattack, passing to Kevin Larsen who waited for Alexander Groven to make a run in the box before delivering for the Norwegian who blasted to the back of the net.

The goal woke up Haugesund, who pressed the Hønefoss for the rest of the half. In the second minute of stoppage time, Haugesund found the equalizer when Nikola Djurdjic flicked a pass over the Hønefoss defense to Geir Ledvig Fevang, and from a tight angle beat Clark.

Haugesund picked up where it left off in the second half and scored in the 52nd minute off a defensive mistake.

Frode Lafton and Kristjan Örn Sigurdsson met a pass and after some miscommunication, gave the ball away to Djurdjic who scored from 10 yards out.

It took some time for Hønefoss to find an answer. In the 67th minute, Arnor Sveinn Adalsteinsson sent an arching cross toward the net that found Heiner Mora, who headed across goal where Sigurdsson made up for his earlier gaffe and leveled the game.

Minutes later, Hønefoss got the gamewinner. Mora's first touch got him past his defender before setting himself up for a 25 yarder which shot curled inside the left post and gave Hønefoss the three points.

With the win, Hønefoss jumped into fourth place in the Tippeligaen. The team returns to action at league leaders Strømsgodset.

Aalesund FK 3 - 1 Stabæk IF

Any hope of staying in the Tippeligaen continued to diminish for Stabæk Sunday with its loss to Aalesund.

Aalesund commanded possession from the opening whistle, and it paid off minutes before halftime. In the 43rd minute, a Jo Nymo Matland free kick met Daniel Arnefjord, who headed home from eight yards out.

Aalesund's lead was short-lived, however. After the fourth minute of stoppage time in the first half, Franck Boli, who had wasted many chances earlier, picked up the ball near the penalty spot and while falling, shot past Sten Grytebust.

As usual for Stabæk this season, the team fell apart in the second half. Aalesund took the lead in the 65th minute when Tremaine Stewart dribbled from center line and into the box without a single defender in front of him finished from 17 yards out.

The hosts put the game away in the 88th minute with a penalty after left back David Hanssen felled Fredrik Ulvestad in the box, and Ulvestad made him pay.

American defender Sean Cunningham started and played the entire game at center back for Stabæk.

With the loss, Stabæk's losing streak increased to five games, and the team sits 12 points from safety. The team returns to action next Monday against Brann.

FK Bodø/Glimt 2 - 2 Mjøndalen IF

Mjøndalen missed yet another opportunity to take its promotion fight in its own hands, tying Bodø/Glimt on the road Sunday.

American defense duo Kyle Helton and Rhett Bernstein started and played the full 90 minutes for Mjøndalen.

Mjøndalen scored first in the eighth minute when Stian Ohr's free kick deflected off the crossbar before Pål Alexander Kirkevold picked up the rebound and scored into an empty net.

It was another free kick that allowed Bodø/Glimt to tie in the 18th minute. Tommy Knarvik sent the offering into a crowd of players, with Christian Berg winning the air duel and scoring.

The second half saw both teams trade chances until the 76th minute. Kirkevold took advantage of a bad back pass from Vieux Yakhya Sané, finding himself alone on goalkeeper Pavel Londak. The Estonian blocked the first shot, but Kirkevold smashed home the rebound to give the guests the lead.

With Mjøndalen so close to taking the three points, Bodø/Glimt stole a point in the 86th minute. Jim Johansen gave Tommy Knarvik a chance to score, and Knarvik hit a weak shot that somehow got past Mjøndalen goalkeeper Ivar Andreas Forn.

With the tie, Mjøndalen still occupies eighth place. The team returns to action Sunday against Ullensaker/Kisa.

Ranheim IL 3 - 1 Bærum SK

An own goal early started a forgettable night for Bærum at Ranheim.

Bærum started the game with a couple of great opportunities but couldn't convert. That came back to bite the team in the seventh minute, when Mounir El-Masrouri headed the ball into his own net.

Are Tronseth doubled Ranheim's lead six minutes later, heading home Robert Stene's corner. For the rest of the half, Ranheim controlled the game and kept Bærum quiet.

The second half continued much the same, and Gjermund Åsen put the game beyond reach in the 79th minute. Åsen dribbled around a crowd of Bærum defenders and put the ball past Magnus Hjulstad.

In the 82nd minute, Eirik Nervold gave Bærum a consolation goal off an Andreas Aalbu corner, but that was all Bærum could muster.

American Sebastian Troupe started and played the full 90 minutes at right back.

With the loss, Bærum continues to occupy last place in Adeccoligaen. The team returns to action Sunday against Sarpsborg 08.


American winger Josh Gatt did not play in Molde's 1-1 tie at Lillestrøm due to a strained hamstring.

Email (will not appear on the site)


Join the YA Email Alert?

Comments are moderated and will be posted if they are on-topic and free of profanity, abuse and spam. HTML and links are not allowed.


Pellegrino Matarazzo and VfB Stuttgart got their Bundesliga campaign off the ground on Saturday with a win over Mainz.
Marsch Wins Coaching Honor
American Trio Wins 3. Liga Title
Konrad Commits To Barcelona
Matarazzo, Stuttgart Eye Promotion