Evidently, Davies didn't learn...
BRIAN SCIARETTA - Friday, October 8, 2010
Nearly a year to the day after almost being killed in a fatal car accident while breaking team curfew two days ahead of the USMNT's final World Cup Qualifier, Charlie Davies has once again disappointed his fans, teammates, employers, and USSF staff.

Last Saturday night in the Jura district of eastern France, Davies was stopped for speeding at 125mph in an Audi Q7. It has been reported that Davies has had his drivers' license confiscated.

Davies' road to recovery after last year's horrific accident was one of the more feel-good stories of the year, as the striker rebounded from a fractured right tibia and femur, a fractured elbow, facial injuries, a lacerated bladder, and bleeding on the brain.

The former Hammarby star got to the point where he was practicing towards the end of the season with his club, Sochaux. Though he made no secret of his hopes to make it to the World Cup, he was not selected by Bob Bradley to the preliminary roster.

Davies has yet to get back on the field for this first team this season and his performances in reserve matches have been mixed.

This incident will serve as a major letdown to the many people who have supported him and could potentially have officials at Sochaux wondering how long they want to continue to invest in the forward who has made several judgment lapses since he signed with the club.

The future of Davies has suddenly become even less clear than it has been. Now he must continue to move forward in his recovery with less heartwarming support he has had, with a possible well-earned reputation for poor judgment.


The story of Charlie Davies' speeding incident took another interesting turn this morning as Nancy Armour of the Associated Press spoke with the striker. Davies claims that he was not the driver, but instead lied to the police and switched seats with teammate Jacques Faty to take the blame as Faty believed his license was already suspended.

Davies claimed that he was lying down in the passenger seat asleep and was unaware how fast Faty was driving, and that once police began to pull them over, they were able to secretly switch seats due to tinted windows.

Armour also reports that after taking both players to the police station, police informed Davies his license would be suspended. Apparently they also ran Faty's driving record and discovered it was not suspended as Faty previously believed.

Faty now admits to making the mistake and being the driver of the car. He claims that he will resolve the issue this week and clear Davies.

It is unclear yet if this story now coming out a week after the incident is supported by the police or if the police will accept Faty's confession only now after the story was made public when it could have been made the minute he found out his license wasn't suspended.

Davies still remains in potential serious trouble either way. Either he was the driver and this second story reported by Armour is untrue, or he knowingly lied to the police during an official investigation and manipulated evidence by switching seats with Faty to cover up the truth.

This is the crux of the matter. Whether he was driving or not, switched seats or not, being in that situation is a violation of the lesson he should have learned last October.