BRENDAN WIMBERLY - Monday, November 11, 2013
Aron Johannsson's two goals paved the way to a point for AZ Saturday, while Charles Kazlauskas and Helmond Sport had a forgettable day on the road.

Feyenoord 2 - 2 AZ

Aron Johannsson continued his superb first full season in the Eredivisie, as the American striker, who played the whole game up top for AZ, scored bookend goals to allow his team to pick up a point at Feyenoord on Saturday.

Johannsson set the scoring off in the 17th minute. Roy Beerens slipped Johann Gudmundsson down the right wing, allowing the Icelandic midfielder to pick out Johannsson with a low cross. Johannsson sent a deft right footed volley just inside the left upright to give AZ the lead.

First, AZ keeper Esteban Alvarado allowed Mitchell te Verde an easy opportunity when Alvarado allowed a soft rebound right in front of the net which te Verde simply poked home to equalize in the 48th minute. Then in the 51st minute, Darly Janmaat dribbled down the right side of the penalty area before sending a cross for Lex Immers, whose header made it 2-1 Feyenoord.

Feyenoord's good times wouldn't last long though, as Janmaat took down Beerens in the penalty area in the 57th minute. Johannsson stepped up to take the penalty and, although Feyenoord keeper Erwin Mulder guessed correctly, Johannsson's perfectly placed penalty whizzed past the diving goalies outstretched arms into the bottom right corner of the net, knotting the score at 2-2.

The two goals were Johannsson's eighth and ninth of the season in league play, and his torrid start has him in third place in the Eredivisie in scoring. Unfortunately for Johannsson and company, Vitesse were able to jump them in the standings, and AZ now sit in second place at the top of a tight Eredivisie.

AZ's next game comes November 23rd, when they host Roda JC.

Den Bosch 3 - 1 Helmond Sport

Charles Kazlauskas went the distance for Helmond Sport on Friday as they were felled on the road by struggling Den Bosch.

Due to a variety of injuries, the versatile Kazlauskas had to move up from his customary right back spot into the midfield. Den Bosch took the lead in the first half through Alexander Mols in the 29th minute.

The lead held through half time until substitute striker Mark Janssen scored his fourth goal of the season for Helmond, tying the game at 1-1 in the 62nd minute. Den Bosch were able to reply a quick response however, as captain Benjamin van den Broek was able to get on the end of a cross from Mols, putting the hosts ahead 2-1.

Former Helmond striker Erik Quekel put the nail in the visitors coffin, as his 84th minute insurance goal ensured the Kazlauskas and his teammates would be heading home empty handed.

Helmond are off until next Monday, when they play host to Willem II.