MICHAEL ADUBATO - Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Anderlecht suffered their fifth defeat of the season when they lost by two goals to one against Charleroi down in Wallonia on Saturday evening.

The six o'clock kick-off was delayed for a half hour due to problems with Anderlecht's bus getting them to the stadium on time.

Sacha Kljestan started for les Mauves, as did Anthony Vanden Borre who kept his spot despite the return to fitness of Guillaume Gillet. The American played the full 90 minutes.

If the champions thought that it would be an easy evening for them against the struggling Zebras, then they were sorely mistaken as the home team struck first three minutes into the second half after a very boring first half where Anderlecht had the lion's share of possession but were unsure what to do with it.

Danijel Milicevic charged up the right wing and beat his defender to put in a superb cross that was converted into a goal when David Pollet stuck his foot out to redirect it into the back of the net.

The Swiss man of Bosnian descent, Milicevic had a hand in the second goal as well when ten minutes after the opener, he charged into the box from the left and slipped a pass to Neeskens Kebano who, from a dozen yards out, put it past Silvio Proto into the back of the net before the Belgian net minder could react.

Massimo Bruno almost got one back from les Mauves in the 67th minute with his fierce shot but Parfait Mandanda saw it at the last minute and managed to smother it with his body. The Congolese keeper did have to pull the ball out of the back of his net minutes later however when Dennis Praet picked out second half substitution and Belgian international Gillet, who struck with gusto inside the box and made Mandanda's night less than "parfait".

The goal proved to be too little, too late and the Anderlecht team had to board their broken bus for the short ride to Brussels with no points. They will hope to fare better on Wednesday night however, when they welcome Braga to Brussels for their Champions League clash. Kljestan will sit this one out after picking up a red card in his last European outing.