RJ DEMELLO - Monday, August 25, 2014
Brad Guzan set a bit of Aston Villa history on Saturday, while Tim Ream and Bolton look like early season favorites to head down to League 1.

Everton 2 - 2 Arsenal

Tim Howard and Everton once again let victory slip from their grasps as Arsenal scored two late goals to share the points at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Howard started, went 90 minutes in goal, and wasn't particularly at fault for any of Arsenal's goals.

The home team played a great first half, opening the scoring with a 19th minute header from Seasmus Coleman. Just before halftime Steven Naismith was fortunate to double the club's lead as he scored a goal from an offside position, but the Assistant Referee missed the call.

It took 83 minutes for the Gunners to answer but the club finally did through Aaron Ramsey. Seven minutes later, Nacho Monreal bent in a cross that Giroud met with his head and placed in the corner, completing the seemingly unlikely comeback.

With its second draw in as many games, Everton sits in 10th place. Howard and the Toffees next take on Chelsea on Saturday.

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Newcastle

Brad Guzan and Aston Villa didn't register a shot on goal, yet the team was still able to snatch a point from the match.

Guzan started and played the whole game for Villa in net, making four saves. The clean sheet is Guzan's second in two games to start off the season. That is the first time a Villa keeper has started the season with two clean-sheets since 1999.

The first half offered little adventure going forward from either team, with no real efforts of note on target and a few coming close to being on goal.

Guzan did well to keep Aston Villa in the match late, saving an attempt from Siem De Jong in the 88th minute.
Mike Williamson was then sent off for Newcastle for a second yellow card, but it was too little too late for Villa to muster a goal.

The draw has the team in sixth place after two games with four points. Guzan and company next see a visit in the league from Hull City on Sunday.

Bolton 1 - 2 Brighton

Tim Ream and Bolton Wanderers continued their rough start to the season, falling to yet another loss.

Ream started and played 90 minutes in defense for Bolton, a defense that is yet to keep a clean sheet in four Championship games this season.

Bolton grabbed perhaps an undeserved lead in the 25th minute through a Matt Mills header off of a Jay Spearing free kick.

Brighton tied the game up in the 37th minute after Craig Mackail-Smith was able to get on the end of a cross inside the six yard box.

The Seagulls went ahead and never looked back in the 64th minute after a finishing from Portuguese player Joao Teixeira.

Wanderers was completely dominated in this match, with only one shot on goal to Brighton's 10, as well as losing the possession battle 58 to 42. The loss leaves the team with one point from its opening four Championship matches. That point total sees the squad in 22nd out of 24 places in the table and well within the relegation zone. It seems that unless something changes, Bolton will be hugging that red line for much of the upcoming season.


Jonathan Spector started and went 90 minutes for Birmingham City in the team's 1-1 draw with Brentford.

Eric Lichaj entered Nottingham Forest's 4-0 win over Reading at halftime. The defender managed to almost score in the 84th minute but Royals keeper Adam Federici produced a good save.

Jozy Altidore came on as a 77th minute substitute in Sunderland's 1-1 draw with Manchester United.

Geoff Cameron made the bench but didn't appear, while Brek Shea was unable to make the game-day squad, in Stoke's 1-1 draw with a Hull City team down to 10 men for much of the game.

Brad Friedel took in Tottenham's 4-0 win over QPR from the bench as the keeper is cemented as Hugo Lloris' backup at Spurs.

Emerson Hyndman was in the 18 but didn't feature for Fulham in the team's 5-1 loss to Derby County on Saturday.

Zak Whitbread was an unused substitute for Derby in its demolition of Fulham.

Duane Holmes was left out of the team entirely for Huddersfield's 1-1 draw with Charlton.