KENYA BROWN - Monday, May 8, 2017
Geoff Cameron and Stoke City shared the points with Bournemouth while DeAndre Yedlin and Newcastle United finished the Championship season with the league title.

Bournemouth 2-2 Stoke City

An own goal late in the second half saw Stoke City only leave the Vitality Stadium with a point as both teams look to finish the season in a strong position.

Cameron started for the Potters and played the entire game.

After securing their Premier League status last weekend, Stoke can now look towards making the adjustments they need ahead of the start of next season. But now their task is trying to finish in the top 10.

Bournemouth opened the scoring in the 33rd minute, but it would be an own goal in favor of Stoke as Lys Mousset headed the ball into his own net from a corner kick.

The home team would find the equalizer just past the hour mark through Junior Stanislas. Adam Smith ran with the ball down the right side before sending a low cross into the area that the forward put his shot past Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland.

However, Mame Diouf would give the Stoke the lead again in the 73rd minute as he was able to put away the loose ball into the back of the net from close range.

The visitors would then lose the chance to take all three points as Ryan Shawcross was caught off guard to score a freakish own goal.

Stoke now sit in 13th place with 41 points.

Newcastle United 3-0 Barnsley

Newcastle United ended the Championship season not only with a win but also the league title as they easily handled Barnsley at St. James' Park.

Yedlin started for the Magpies and played the entire game.

The team had already guaranteed automatic promotion to the Premier League but were still in the hunt for the Championship title as they sat one point behind league leaders Brighton. This last weekend decided which one of them would go up to the EPL as champions.

Newcastle opened the scoring in the 23rd minute with Yedlin, who had given Barnsley problems throughout the game with his runs down the right side, supplying the cross to teammate Ayoze Perez who flicked the ball home from close range.

The home team were in dominant form throughout the first half and should have scored a few more times as efforts from Christian Atsu and Massadio Haidara should have found their way into the back of the net.

However, they would deservedly score their second of the game in the 59th minute. Barnsley goalkeeper Adam Davies did well to deny Perez his second goal, but the ball fell to Chancel Mbemba who smashed it home.

Dwight Gayle added Newcastle's third in the 90th minute when teammate Aleksandar Mitrovic headed the ball into his path and he easily tapped it past Davies.

The Magpies got the win, but their league title was not guaranteed until Bright allowed an equalizer to end their game 1-1 with Aston Villa. The news brought the Newcastle faithful into loud cheers as their team ended the season on a high.

Newcastle finished their season atop the standings with 94 points.

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Fulham

Fulham came from behind to defeat Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough Stadium to maintain their momentum as both teams will head to the promotion playoffs.

Tim Ream started for the Cottagers and played the entire game.

Sam Winnall gave the Owls the lead in the ninth minute when he took a pass from teammate Kieran Lee and fired his shot past Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli.

However, the joy would end for Wednesday as Fulham levelled the score in the 25th minute as Neeskens Kebano finished off a cross from Dennis Odoi.

The host found themselves in trouble just before the halftime whistle as the referee gave red card to Marco Matias for his foul on Sone Aluko.

This opened a door for the Cottagers and Kebano made sure the took advantage as he scored his second and the game-winner for the visitors in the 79th minute. The Democratic Republic of Congo midfielder flicked in the goal with his head after a free kick from Lucas Piazon.

The win sees Fulham finish in sixth place in the standings with 80 points. They will now face Reading in the two-leg semifinal.

Nottingham Forest 3-0 Ipswich Town

Nottingham Forest ensured their Championship survival with a convicing win over Ipswich Town at the City Ground.

Eric Lichaj started for Forest and played the entire game.

While most of the Americans in the Championship were focused on preparing for the promotion play-offs, Lichaj and Forest had a fight on their hands at the bottom of the standings as they had to fight with fellow relegation candidates Blackburn Rovers to see who would fill the third and final spot.

It has been a rough season for the former European Cup winners as they have gone through talk of a possible change in ownership and managerial changes. However, with the appointment of former Rangers FC head coach Mark Warburton, the team righted the ship at a opportune time.

Britt Assombalonga opened the scoring for the host in the 43rd minute from the penalty spot. Jamie Ward was brought down by Ipswich goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski, leading the referee to point to the spot. Assombalonga had no problems with the penalty as he powered his shot past the goalkeeper to give fans hope.

Chris Cohen doubled Forest's lead in the 57th minute with a long-range strike that deflected off an Ipswich defender and into the back of the net that sent the fans into raucous cheers.

Assombalonga capped off the game with his second goal in the 69th minute as he took a pass from teammate David Vaughn after the restart of play and drilled it past Bialkowski to send the fans home happy and hopeful that next season will be more positive.

Forest finish the season in 21st place in the standings with 51 points.


Lynden Gooch watched from the bench as relegated Sunderland earned a 2-0 win over Hull City.

Danny Williams came off the bench for Reading as the promotion playoff qualifiers bagged a 4-2 win over Burton Albion.

Duane Holmes came off the bench as Scunthorpe United's pursuit of promotion to the Championship ended with a 3-2 aggregate loss to Millwall.