Sunday, December 6, 2009
DaMarcus Beasley's appearance as a second half substitute helped spark Rangers to a decisive victory over Falkirk on Saturday at Falkirk Stadium.

Beasley came on in the 62nd minute for Spanish forward Nacho Novo and would help draw a penalty kick which was converted into the third goal on the afternoon for the Light Blues.

Fellow American Maurice Edu continues to recover from knee surgery and did not take part in in Saturday's affair.

Kris Boyd started the scoring for the visitors in the 16th minute. Algerian defender Madjid Bougherra, playing in his first match for Gers in over a month, one-timed a cross to Boyd who poked the shot into the back of the net from close range giving the striker his 150th career Scottish Premier League goal.

Boyd struck again in the 36th minute to double the margin against the Bairns. It all started with Steven Davis' charging run down the middle of the field on a counterattack which he then played to Kenny Miller who back-heeled a pass to Boyd to set up the prolific goalscorer with his second goal of the day.

Pedro Moutinho provided the lone bright spot for Falkirk when he halved the lead in the 41st minute on a corner where he was left alone by the visitors' defense and scored.

Beasley's entrance into the match nearly paid an immediate dividend as his play helped draw a foul on the Falkirk end and Kevin Thomson nearly converted the free kick into a goal.

Just minutes later the Indiana native did better when his run into the penalty area in the 74th minute drew another foul, this time in the form of a high kick to the ribs leaving the referee no other choice but to blow his whistle and point to the spot.

Miller was happy to oblige and easily slipped the shot past the goalkeeper for the third and final goal for head coach Walter Smith.

The victory keeps Rangers just two points behind crosstown rivals Celtic with Smith's men having a game in hand. Beasley and company hit the road again in midweek Champions League action versus Sevilla.