Sunday, December 13, 2009
DaMarcus Beasley may have earned himself a call from Bob Bradley after his exceptional effort on Saturday for Rangers who downed St. Johnstone at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow.

Beasley started at midfielder for head coach Walter Smith and went the first 73 minutes before yielding his spot to 17 year old John Fleck. Beasley would end up tallying an assist in the effort.

It was the second match in a row which featured a start for Beasley who has found his way back into Smith's regular rotation after publicly stating that he would like to move away from the club during the winter transfer period.

Fellow American Maurice Edu did not take part in Saturday's action as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.

The Light Blues began the match with an early goal, a characteristic they often showed last season in their home stretch towards the Scottish Premier League title.

Kris Boyd continued his torrid stretch by putting the hosts on the scoreboard first, but it was all made possible by the play of Beasley who fed Boyd with a pass at the edge of the box giving the striker an open look at goal which he struck for the first minute goal.

The Indiana native continued to exhibit stellar play as he pressed the St. Johnstone's defense into errors and helped Rangers earn several first half set pieces and corner kicks.

Boyd doubled the margin in the 27th minute by scoring off a penalty kick after Nacho Novo was brought down in the penalty area by the Saints goalkeeper.

It was the second consecutive match that the Scottish international scored two goals in a match. Boyd now has 16 goals on the season.

The halftime break did nothing to slow Gers and Beasley who continued pushing for another goal. The former PSV Eindhoven man was all over the right side of the field leaving the St. Johnstone's defense in his wake.

In the 51st minute Beasley swung a cross over to Kenny Miller whose shot on goal was blocked only to see Novo sweep in and poke home the rebound.

Beasley nearly notched his first goal on the campaign with a curling left footed shot from inside the box that was barely tipped away by the visiting goalkeeper. It proved to be the winger's last real opportunity at goal as he was substituted off shortly thereafter.

The victory keeps Rangers just a single point behind Celtic for the top spot in the SPL with a midweek visit up next on Tuesday versus Dundee United.