ISAAC HEATH - Monday, January 11, 2010
Herculez Gomez saw his first action up front for the already qualified Puebla, while Edgar Castillo and Tigres crashed out of Interliga play with a tie against Jaguares.

Tigres 2 - 2 Jaguares

Tigres seemed poised to qualify for the next round of Interliga play when they jumped all over Jaguares on Sunday at the Home Depot Center before seeing their early lead evaporate before halftime.

Edgar Castillo played the full 90 minutes for Tigres at left back once again, but despite his best efforts he was unable to help his team secure the victory after grabbing an early lead.

Lucas Lobos put Tigres on the board in the sixth minute when he took a pass from Itamar Batista and rifled it past Oscar Perez from the left side of the box.

In the 28th minute, Lobos and Batista hooked up again but this time they switched roles. Lobos layed off a ball to Batista who blasted it past the off balance Perez to give Tigres a seemingly secure two goal lead.

Ezequial Orozco cut the lead in half just five minutes later when Cristian Alvarez layed a ball off for him and then put the ball past a helpless Cirilo Saucedo.

Just before the halftime whistle, Jaguares were able to tie the score on an Edgar Andrade goal in the 45th minute. Andrade was left alone at the top of the box and he beat Saucedo with a powerful right footed shot.

Neither team was able to put away a decisive third goal in the second half, and both teams ended the day eliminated from Copa Libertadores contention.

Monterrey 2 - 1 Puebla

Puebla, who had already secured the top spot in group play, carried a draw into the 91st minute before giving up the decisive goal against Monterrey on Sunday at the Home Depot Center.

Newly acquired Yank Herculez Gomez saw 71 minutes of action up top for Puebla, and was effective yet unable to score in his debut for his new team.

Puebla scored the first goal of the match in the fifth minute when Orlando Javier Rincon sent a ball across the face of the Monterrey goal that Juan Carlos Garcia needed only to touch across the line for the 1-0 lead.

Monterrey equalized in the 32nd minute when referee Kevin Stott granted them a questionable penalty, and Lucho Perez had no problem tucking it away past Alexander Alvarez.

The game remained tied until the 91st minute when Osvaldo Martinez took the ball off Carreno in the box and pushed it past Alvarez for the victory.

Both Puebla and Monterrey moved on to the semifinals that will take place later this week in Mexico.