ANDREW VORCE - Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Jozy Altidore and Hull City earned a valuable point against Chelsea at home while Jay DeMerit and Watford hit three past a stagnant Sheffield United in a limited midweek schedule in England.

Hull 1 - 1 Chelsea

Jozy Altidore went 86 minutes for Hull City in a precious draw against Chelsea at KC Stadium on Tuesday.

Stephen Hunt continued to increase his value as Hull pulled off the unexpected, drawing first blood at home. Hunt sent in a quality corner, and Mouyokolo rose above the rest to nod home past the helpless Petr Cech in the 30th minute.

George Boateng was the culprit for Hull's draw, however, when he made an unnecessary challenge on Nicholas Anelka just a yard outside of the penalty area. In his first game back since the African Cup of Nations, Didier Drogba stepped up and fired his free kick around the right side of the wall to beat Boaz Myhill in the 42nd.

Didier Drogba, Branislav Ivanovic and John Terry earned cards for the Blues while Paul McShane picked up the yellow for City. Up next for the Tigers, a visit from Manchester City.

Watford 3 - 0 Sheffield United

Jay DeMerit was a 90 minute man in a vital win for Watford against promotion hopefuls Sheffield United.

United were the reason for their own downfall when no one stepped to clear a Martin Taylor long ball forward. On loan Manchester United forward Tom Cleverly wasted no time, sneaking in to chip his header over the onrushing Mark Bunn in the 39th.

The United back four were again caught napping when John Eustace's ball forward was uncleared, allowing Heidar Helguson to nip past Bunn and send in a tidy finish in the 55th. The game was virtually killed off when Don Cowie sent in a dangerous cross, and with three players attacking the ball none of them connected, with the ball flying straight into the net in the 75th.

James Harper, Darius Henderson, Nyron Nosworthy, and Stephen Quinn were all booked in one way traffic in the way of cards. Up next for Watford is a trip to Barnsley.


Marcus Hahnemann watched on from the bench as Wolves were undone by Crystal Palace 3-0 in the FA Cup.

Clint Dempsey was out injured for Fulham who slid past Portsmouth 1-0.

Jemal Johnson and Stockport will have to wait as rain forced the game against Oldham to be cancelled.

Mike Grella came on as an 86th minute substitute for Leeds who were drilled by Tottenham in their FA Cup Fourth Round replay.