ANDREW VORCE - Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Jay DeMerit and Kenny Cooper both found themselves on the wrong side of the Championship as Watford incurred a rough home loss in limited midweek English action.

Watford 1 - 3 Crystal Palace

Jay DeMerit and Watford took another dangerous step closer to the relegation zone as ten-man Crystal Palace put a beating on the Hornets at Vicarage Road Stadium.

In what was classed as a relegation six pointer for Palace, sitting on the edge of the relegation zone just one place below Watford, both teams were in need of points. The Hornets were unfortunate, with goalkeeper Julian Speroni playing out of his mind, denying Martin Taylor from point blank range before Tom Cleverly's shot rocketed off the post.

Palace got the scoring started just 31 minutes in with Stern John opening the score. Johny Ertl's cross found John on the back post who headed home against the run of play past Scott Loach. Watford hit another post soon after, with Henry Lansbury's header being denied.

Just six minutes into the second half Watford's fate was all but sealed with Sean Scannell netting Palaces second of the night. His first attempt from Darren Ambrose's cross came back off the post but the striker was able to net the rebound with a side footed shot past Loach.

Scannell then played the crucial part in Palace's third and final goal, his rocket shot too hot for Loach to handle. The keeper parried the shot straight up and Neil Danns was on hand to volley into the empty net.

The Hornets hit the post yet another time through Cleverly, before Danny Graham pulled one back in the 83rd. Lee Hill was sent off four minutes later for his second booking, but it was too little too late as the Hornets were unlucky not to gain anything from the outing.

John Eustace was booked for Watford, While Ertl and Matthew Lawrence joined Hills in the book for Palace. Up next for the Hornets is an away match on Saturday against Preston.


Kenny Cooper saw the final two minutes in a 0 - 0 draw for Plymouth at Barnsley.