Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Mikkel Diskerud and Stabaek came out on top in the battle of Baerum while Steve Clark and Honefoss survived a nervewracking penalty kick shootout to overcome lower division Valdres in second round action of the Norwegian Cup.

Baerum 0 - 2 Stabaek

Mikkel Diskerud and Stabaek slugged their way to a two goal victory over fellow Norwegian-American Sebastian Troupe and 2. Division Baerum on Wednesday afternoon at Sandvika Stadion in Baerum.

Diskerud started at center midfielder and went the distance in the hard-fought victory. Compatriot Erik Benjaminsen made the gameday roster but did not see any action for the visitors.

Unlike his previous league encounters where he played up front, Troupe was slotted back into his old position of right back for Baerum and went the distance. Troupe also picked up a yellow card in the 53rd minute.

The duel between the co-inhabitants of the city of Baerum was tense from the start as Baerum were out to live up to their reputation as a giant killer in Cup play. Last year Troupe and company took out Eliteserien club Stromsgodset in the tournament.

Espen Hoff helped settle the nerves in the 30th minute when his indiviual effort gave Stabaek its first goal. Hoff stripped a Baerum defender of possession sent in a delicate chip over the goalkeeper.

Tempers nearly boiled over thirteen minutes later when Troupe took down Diskerud with a tackle that left Stabaek head coach Jan Jonsson fuming and ready to trade blows with Baerum head coach Morten Trondberg.

Fortunately order was restored by the linesman and both coaches retreated back to their respective benches.

Two minutes after the halftime break, Stabaek put the match away when Jorgen Skjelvik made a run down the right side before crossing to Icelandic striker Veigar Pall Gunnarsson who poked home the second goal and sent Stabaek through to the third round.

Diskerud and company return to Eliteserien action in a Monday night special versus fellow yank Hunter Freeman and Start.

Mandalskameratene 1 - 2 Start

Hunter Freeman and Start managed to slip by 2. Division Mandalskameratene at Idrettsparken Stadion on Wednesday evening to book a place in the third round of the Norwegian Cup.

Freeman started at his customary right back position and went the first 74 minutes before head coach Knut Torum substituted him out for Avni Pepa.

The native Texan was active in his time on the field and helped assist in the first Start goal when his long throw-in found Jesper Mathisen who sent a shot into the back of the net in the 15th minute.

Torum's squad doubled their lead in the 28th minute courtesy of Geir Ludvig Fevang who set up an open look for Mads Stokkelien.

The young striker fired the shot home from 18 yards out to give the visitors a commanding lead.

However it was then that Mandalskameratene showed some spark and seven minutes later they thought halved the margin but Fredrik Stray's header was disallowed due to offsides.

The hosts would finally get that first goal in the 71st minute when Eric Shulze's shot from long distance skipped through the Start defense and glanced into the back of the net.

Mandalskameratene pushed for an equalizer but came up short giving Start a hard-fought victory.

The Kristiansand club return to Eliteserien action on Monday when they visit Mikkel Diskerud and Stabaek.

Valdres 3 - 3 Honefoss (4-5)

Steve Clark and Kenneth Di Vita Jensen's Honefoss needed penalty kicks to squeak past 2. Division Valdres on Wednesday evening at Blåbærmyra Stadion in Valdres.

Clark started in goal for the first time since sustaining a quad injury last month versus Stabaek and did just enough to send Honefoss through to the third round of the Cup competition.

Di Vita Jensen got the start at forward and played the first 82 minutes before getting substituted out for regular starting striker Davy Claude Agnan.

A relatively quiet first half saw only one goal which was an own-goal by Valdres off a corner kick to give Honefoss the lead in the 21st minute.

Things picked up in the second half as Valdres equalized in the 49th minute when Clark couldn't corral a free kick and Fredrik Lagemyr was there to score off the deflection.

Both teams then exchanged decent chances the next 25 minutes until Valdres again hit pay dirt in the 76th minute when Ayouba Nedke's shot from 16 meters out curled inside the right corner to beat Clark.

Hoping to avoid a massive upset, Hoenfoss pushed forward and drew level in the 84th with a great solo effort by Madiou Konate who found the back of the net from just inside the area.

The excitement would then ratchet up in the first minute of stoppage time as Angan got loose deep in the Valdres area and slipped in a shot.

But Valdres would not be denied the tying goal and just a minute later Honefoss was whistled for a penalty kick for a tackle on Terje Sanne in the area.

Sanne stepped to the spot and fired past Clark to send the match to extra time.

The next 30 minutes did nothing to settle matters so Clark and Honefoss were forced into penalty kicks.

Each team converted their first four penalties until Clark saved an effort by Valdres' Vetle Gulowsen.

Konate then easily converted the fifth and final kick for the visitors giving an elated Honefoss the victory.

Clark, Di Vita Jensen and crew return to Eliteserien action on Monday when they host struggling Brann.

Asker 1 - 2 Sarpsborg

Colin Burns and Sarpsborg gutted out a win over 2. Division Asker to advance in the Norwegian Cup on Wednesday afternoon at Foyka Stadion in Asker.

Burns received his second start in net for his new club in helping the 1. Division club to victory.

Things did not start out well for Sarpsborg who failed to score in the first half and allowed their lower division opponents to start thinking that an upset victory was possible.

The Sarpsborg defense was fooled when Balal Arezou's pass into Petter Lindstad was not whistled for offsides. Lindstad was Johnny on the spot and beat Burns with a shot from 16 meters out in the 29th minute.

The second half saw a much more composed Sarpsborg start to impose their will on the match and were rewarded with goals just minutes apart from each other.

Tobias Henanger drew the visitors level in the 56th minute when Martin Wiig played a ball forward to the 18 year old attacker who rocketed home a goal.

Five minutes later Tom Erik Breive's hammer of a shot was deflected out to Mbar Mame Diouf who slammed it home to give Sarpsborg the edge.

Burns and the Sarpsborg defense held firm the rest of the way sending the club to victory.

Next up for Sarpsborg is a Monday date with Sandnes Ulf.

Forde 2 - 3 Sogndal

Joseph Bednik recorded his second win as a professional goalkeeper as Sogndal staved off 2. Division Forde to advance to the next round of the Norwegian Cup at Forde Stadion on Wednesday night.

Bednik started in net in the victory which saw the 1. Division club needing a comeback to earn the victory.

The former Clemson standout gave up his first goal in the 30th minute when he was undone by his own defense. Lars Grorud's own-goal put the hosts up after his deflection looped past Bednik and into the net.

But five minutes later Sogndal drew level with a solo effort by Barry Kader who stole possession and ripped a shot from 20 meters out.

Sogndal then scored twice within four minutes early in the second half when Kader set up Harvard Flo with a perfect ball in the area in the 53rd minute.

Four minutes later Even Hovland took advantage of a blunder by the Forde goalkeeper to give Sogndal a two goal advantage.

The hosts finally scored a goal of their own doing when they took advantage of some miscommunication between Bednik and his defense which gave Thor Erik Nygard an open look for a goal in the 69th minute.

Sogndal returns to 1. Division play with a Monday affair at home versus Bodo/Glimt.


Tyrel Lacey continues to rehab his knee and did not take part in Lyn's shutout 0-3 win over Fana.