ANDREW VORCE - Tuesday, December 21, 2010
The strike force of Manchester City was stopped cold in their tracks as they met the brick wall of Tim Howard and the Everton back line.

Everton roared into life just four minutes into the Monday fixture as Manchester City failed to clear their lines. Ball after ball poured into the City box as they only managed to clear it as far as the deep Carlos Tevez. The striker was immediately dispossessed and Leighton Banes was able to send a deep cross to Seamus Coleman.

Instead of kicking the ball out of bounds when he had a chance, the City defender allowed Coleman the opportunity to maintain possession. Not sparing the defenders mistake, Coleman sent an inch perfect cross to the unmarked Tim Cahill who's near post header gave Joe Hart no chance.

The game was put to rest in the 19th minute as Baines capped off the night with a goal of his own. City were temporarily down to 10 men as Pablo zabaleta was out getting stitches after a clash of heads with Cahill, and Everton used their man advantage while it lasted.

Baines made an overlapping run around Victor Anichebe, but the striker chose to play the ball square to Cahill instead of Baines. The Australian provided a neat lay off for Baines who side footed a glorious shot past Hart.

Anichebe picked up his second yellow card in the 60th minute, reducing Everton to 10 men for the final 30 minutes. City eventually got one back in the 72nd minute as a Yaya Toure cross deflected off of the shin of Phil Jagielka for the unfortunate own goal. City combined on a slick passing move, and Toure's cross ended up in the back of Howard's net.

Howard made multiple late game saves, including a break away with Tevez. City ended the night with 10 men as Kolo Toure was sent off for his second booking in the 90th minute. Gareth Barry and Vincent Kompany were both booked for Manchester City, while Marouane Fellaini joined Anichebe in the book for Everton.

Up next for the Toffees is a weekend home game against Birmingham.