ANDREW VORCE - Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Maurice Edu and Rangers were crowned Champions of Scotland after a 5-1 demolition of Kilmarnock in Scottish Premier League action.

Kilmarnock 1 - 5 Rangers

Maurice Edu and Rangers were off to the races at the starting whistle as their domination of Kilmarnock saw them win the Scottish Premier League on the last day of the season.

Rangers finished one point ahead of arch rivals Celtic, but 30 points above third place Hearts. Kyle Lafferty had two goals in the space of six minute, sandwiching Steven Naismith's fifth minute goal. The first goal came just 46 seconds in as a big ball over the top found Lafferty streaking past his defender. Instead of trying to round the goalkeeper the striker cleverly chipped his shot over Cameron Bell who was well off of his line.

Naismith got his name on the score sheet after starting the move just after the four minute mark. Spraying the ball out wide to Gregg Wylde, the striker began his immediate run straight to goal. Wylde found space down the wing before picking out his striker on the edge of the 18 and Naismith's quick finish left Bell no chance.

Nikica Jelavic was the provider in the seventh minute as Rangers showed no signs of slowing down. Getting the ball out wide on the right, Jelavic was able to quickly play Lafferty back in through the middle. The striker did the rest as his first time finish with his left foot slotted through the arms of Bell for number three.

Rangers started the second half in the same fashion, scoring just four minutes after the break. Jelavic finally got his name on the scoresheet after drawing a free kick when Manuel Pascali was forced to bring the midfielder down. Jelavic dusted himself off to take an immaculate free kick that had Bell at full outstretch, clutching at thin air.

Rangers ended their scoring in the 53rd minute as Lafferty completed his hat trick after picking up possession once rounding his defender before tucking his shot home. Kilmarnock eventually got on the scoreboard in the 65th minute as James Dayton's free kick took a deflection past Allan McGregor.

Gary Fisher and James Fowler were booked for Kilmarnock while Jelavic and Lafferty were both booked for their celebrations. Edu and Rangers were crowned Scottish Premier League Champions after the game.