TAHARKA TAYLOR - Thursday, August 11, 2011
Three Americans featured in League Cup action Tuesday night but Robbie Findley and Nottingham Forest were the only to advance as Jemal Johnson and Anton Peterlin both saw their teams defeated.

Nottingham Forest 3 - 3 Notts County

Nottingham Forest prevailed at the City Ground over the course of a wild night in Nottingham as the Reds advanced past neighbors Notts County 4 - 3 on penalties.

Robbie Findley started at forward and went on to find the back of the net scoring his first in a Nottingham Forest shirt. Overall it was an energetic and pleasing night for Findley. The Phoenix, Arizona native had a second goal disallowed on a controversial offside call and was also one of four Nottingham Forest players to successfully convert a penalty kick in the ensuing penalty shoot out.

It was Notts County who drew first blood via Mike Edwards in the 16th minute. Edwards was in prime position to convert Alan Sheehan's cross and did just that, slotting the ball home past Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith.

Forest midfielder Lewis McGugan then equalized in the 30th minute with an exceptional curling free kick from 30-yards out that left Stuart Nelson helpless between the post.

Robbie Findley scored his first since moving to England in the 56th minute when he calmly put away a left-wing cross from Andy Reid.

County's Craig Westcarr came off the bench to replace Julian Kelly in the 72nd minute and promptly scored just four minutes later to bring the two teams level.

The score stood at 2 - 2 for the remainder of regulation but Notts County star Lee Hughes scored in the 98th minute for what surely should have been the match winner in extra time.

However it was Wes Morgan's turn to play the hero, the 27-year-old defender thundered home a shot from long range moments before the final whistle to force a penalty shootout.

Jonathan Greening hit the left post missing Forest's first penalty but the club went on to convert four of their following five while Hamza Bencherif, Neal Bishop, and Lee Hughes missed their penalties for Notts County gifting The Reds their first victory of the season.

Referee Nigel Miller handed out yellow cards to County's Neal Bishop, Mike Edwards, Jeff Hughes, and Krystian Pearce, as well as Forest's Chris Cohen.

Nottingham Forest next travel to take on Millwall FC in Saturday's Championship matchup.

Southend United 1 - 1 Leyton Orient

Jemal Johnson started and went 70 minutes on the right wing as Southend United were eliminated from the League Cup by Leyton Orient on Tuesday.

Michael Richardson scored a flying header from twelve yards out to put Leyton Orient ahead in the 23rd minute but Southend's Mark Philips scored with his own head moments later to even things up in the 32nd minute.

The two teams remained deadlocked through extra time forcing a penalty shootout.

Leyton Orient goalkeeper Lee Butcher saved two penalties stopping Liam Dickinson and JP Kalala cold to set up Leyton Orient's Jamie Cureton for the game winning penalty.

Leyton Oreint's Jonathan Tehoue was sent off for violent conduct after head-butting Luke Prosser in the 60th minute. Seven Leyton Oreint players were carded on the night - Lee Butcher, Ben Chorley, Dean Cox, Scott Cuthbert, Elliot Omozusi, and Michael Richardson were all show yellow cards. Only Bilel Mohsni was issued a warning for Southend.

Johnson and Southend United return to League Two action on Saturday when they travel to take on Accringotn Stanley FC.

Walsall FC 0 - 3 Middlesbrough

Anton Peterlin and Walsall FC were helplessly outclassed when they hosted Championship club Middlesbrough in Tuesday's League Cup matchup.

Peterlin was suddenly substituted into the game in the fourteenth minute when Walsall head coach Dean Smith was forced to make a tactical change after midfielder Adam Chambers was issued a red card for a dangerous two-footed tackle on Richard Smallwood.

Middlesbrough forward Marvin Emnes stole the show, scoring a hat-trick to ease Middlesbrough by a ten-man Walsall. Emnes' first came off a well placed driven shot from just outside the 18 in the 17th minute. Emnes doubled the Middlesbrough lead in the 37th minute before completing his three goal performance from the penalty spot in the 52nd.

Walsall's James Walker and Kevan Hurst were issued yellow cards while Joe Bennett of Middlesbrough was also cautioned.

Walsall will look to rebound from their early League Cup exit when they travel to face Hartlepool United on Saturday.

Oxford United 1 - 3 Cardiff City

Jon-Paul Pittman started and went 60 minutes at forward Wednesday night as Oxford United were outed from the League Cup losing to Cardiff City in extra time.

Cardiff's Craig Conway scored his first since joining the club in the 12th minute of play. The Scottish winger was the benefactor of teammate Jon Parkins' hard work but was in prime position for an easy tap in to beat goalkeeper Ryan Clarke.

Simson Clist equalized for Cardiff in the 30th minute with a sliding effort knocking in a rebound to follow up a shot from Alfie Potter.

It was Jon Parkin on the scene again moments before the final whistle when the big target man came within inches of scoring a game winner but the assistant referee judged that the ball had not completely crossed the line before Clarke got to it with his second save attempt.

Just moments prior 19-year-old Ibrahim Farfah almost scored in his Cardiff City debut when his shot from long range hit the post.

With the score still level the two teams advanced to extra time. Oxford almost took the lead early in the first period when Deane Smalley's header smashed off the Cardiff crossbar.

However Cardiff substitute Peter Whittingham all but ended Oxford's League Cup campaign when he beat Clarke from distance to give the Championship team the lead.

Nathaniel Jarvis put on the finishing touch scoring in the 115th minute and sealing a victory for Cardiff City in his own debut.

Jarvis, Pakrin, and Farah all received yellows on the night.


Frank Simek missed Carlisle United's League Cup match against Oldham Athletic on Tuesday. The club has reported that Simek is expected to miss up to eight weeks after scans revealed a tear in a hip muscle. Simek left Saturday's League One opener against Notts County in the first half after landing awkwardly and experiencing discomfort in the joint.

Cody Cropper made the bench but did not see action as Ipswich Town were shockingly eliminated from the League Cup losing 1 - 2 to League Two's Northampton at home.