DAVID SMITH - Monday, October 3, 2011
Oguchi Onyewu helped ten-man Sporting fight to a sixth straight win while Caleb Patterson-Sewell and Tony Taylor were both in Atlético's starting lineup for their shut-out win over Naval.

Vitoria Guimaraes 0 - 1 Sporting CP

Oguchi Onyewu racked up another start in the Sporting defense, helping the team hold onto an early against Vitoria Guimaraes lead despite playing the majority of the game with ten men on the field.

Sporting struck fast and hard, jumping into the lead just seven minutes past the opening whistle.

Dutch World Cup veteran Stijn Schaars recovered the ball in the midfield and quickly fed the streaking Diego Capel, who stormed into the left side of the area and beat Vitoria keeper Nilson with a blazing shot.

The early goal would prove fortuitous, as Sporting were reduced to ten men after 22 minutes, when midfielder Fabián Rinaudo was shown a harsh straight red by referee Bruno Paixão for what he perceived to be a reckless tackle on Vitoria forward Maranhão.

Despite constant pressure from their hosts, the Sporting defense held strong throughout the remainder of the first half, and the insertion of midfielder André Santos for forward Peruvian forward Andre Carrillo effectively shut down the game during the second half, preserving the win.

Sporting climb to fourth place with the win, and will have a busy time after the international window. They will visit Pero Pinheiro on Saturday, October 15 in the Portuguese Cup before returning home to host FC Vaslui in Europa League group stage five days later, then will host promoted FC Gil Vicente in league play the following Monday.

Atlético CP 1 - 0 Naval

Caleb Patterson-Sewell earned yet another shut-out for Atlético on Saturday, as a second-half goal pushed the team past Naval for their fourth win in five.

Tony Taylor was also in Atlético's starting eleven, notching 78 minutes of play before leaving in favor of midfielder Zezinho.

The first half saw neither keeper tested heavily, with Patterson-Sewell blocking a header from Naval forward Roberto in the first 20 minutes, and Taylor shot from the edge of the area kept out by Naval keeper Pedro Taborda.

Atlético were somewhat fortunate on the winning goal, after a free kick came in from the right flank, Naval defender Rogério's attempted headed clearance bounced off the left post, taking Taborda by surprise. Unable to reach it as it rolled back across the face of goal, Taborda was forced to watch passively as Tiago Caeiro rushed in for the easy tap-in.

Atlético remain first in the Liga de Honra standings and will return to action on October 23 with a visit to Lexios.